on 14 March 2014
Lightweight, compact unit which has a sleek design not too dissimilar from the beloved MacBook (but half the price). Excellent spec even compared to 'bigger' laptops, and feels solid and well made. Works well, quick start up, windows 8 is easy to use, but not the point of this review (its about the computer not the operating system!). Battery life is adequate (about 4-5hrs) and sound quality is not amazing, but these are minor points. Nice keyboard and screen is sharp but angle dependant. This is not a touchscreen.

I would recommend; remove all the acer junkware (speeds up running), and buy a 32GB USB stick to create a system recovery drive in case windows fails to start (it has to be bigger than 16gb). You will also need a portable CD/DVDRW if you want to use discs, £20 on amazon for Samsung unit which is very good.

Overall very good laptop, I would recommend it.
on 13 May 2014
This was bought as a lightweight machine for travelling and with the latest version of Windows 8.1 plus the manufacturers provided software it gets around the lack of a touchscreen with no problems at all.

I have upgraded mine to the full 12GB of system RAM (the whole bottom needs to come off) and with the i5 processor it performs very well, even coping with the demands of HD video processing for all but the highest camera sampling rates.

This computer will run all of the current 'Office' type suites with no problem, has good wifi standards and speeds in board plus a Gigabit LAN connection too. USB3 and USB2 are standard. The display is clear and a good resolution for a 13.3" device. Sound is acceptable too as the unit has a 4-speaker Dolby stereo audio system. It's not going to be an audiophiles choice but it's only a laptop!

I have not tried it for gaming as I don't use a laptop for that but I would imagine that even out of the box it will cope with non-graphics/3D intensive games well.

The machine starts up very quickly and the battery life is surprisingly good at over 6 hours in my experience - not stressing the CPU - although the full startup with everything running does take a few more minutes.

As is always the case these days, the machine comes loaded with 'freeware' which I promptly uninstalled. There is no optical drive so I used a 64GB USB3 memory stick to back the machine up to.

All in all a recommended piece of hardware.
55 comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 April 2014
I opted for skipping the touch screen and I kind of wish that I hadn't. Nevertheless, the laptop works well and the trackpad is large and functions almost as the touch screen would. The only downside I have noticed thus far is that the display isn't that nice - it can appear quite grainy and the screen reflects EVERYTHING. I can often see myself in the screen whilst watching movies. Pleased with the speed and storage.
on 8 June 2014
It has been said before. You get what you pay. Of course this product cannot be compaired with the expensive 1k+ laptops, but for what you pay is it perfect.

The biggest minus is the monitor. The viewing angle is crazy bad with lots of distorition if you don't look at the screen in a straight angle. Also, build quality feels cheep sometimes, but not a dealbreaker.

Apart from that, I don't have any problems and I am really happy with my purchase.
on 27 August 2014
It turned out to be a very good purchase for its money. I was a bit uneasy before buying it, because of negative comments in earlier reviews concerning the quality of its screen. Having watched several films, in addition to long-hour daily use for professional work, I found out there was nothing wrong with it. For the time being (I have had it less than a month) it works perfectly. A lightweight laptop with 1 T HDD and 6 GB RAM is hard to find at this price.
As of the time of writing Amazon's info probably undersells this. It's a 4th gen i5 4200 processor with win 8.1 installed. Not too much bloatware and elegantly thin. Not a touch screen, but who really needs that in a laptop?
Pro's: Feels solid in the main, lovely form factor, plenty of storage, adequate RAM
Cons: Heavier than I expected, slower start up than I expected, touchpad feels a bit flimsy - if anything fails this is it.
Overall: Glad I bought it. With a 1 tb hard drive, 4th gen i5 and 6 gig of ram it has to be worth the £440 I paid in Sept 2014. Just hope the touch pad is up to the job. Start8 makes Windows 8.1 easier for my needs.
on 16 July 2014
This laptop is fast enough just I can't see the display very well from everywhere
on 25 October 2014
It worked fine for the past 3 months, until it suddenly stopped working. I have absolutely no clue why it doesn't reboot, as it's completely out of my technical reach to know, in fact, what happened. I've done NO changes nor did I ever opened it. I use it exclusively for working-related subjects. I'm incredibly disappointed at Acer.
on 10 September 2014
The first laptop had four keys which didn't work so the laptop was returned and replaced very quickly. I have not had any emails to say the returned laptop has been received so I am hopeful that I will not be charged twice! The new laptop seems OK and I like it and from the start seemed to work much better although it is identical.
on 2 July 2014
I bought one of these for a friend and set it up. It's good value for the money (and note that the price fluctuates wildly), but the screen is pretty awful. I work in IT, I'm using a variety of a laptops, and I wouldn't want to use this for any amount of time: although it's quite sharp and bright, the viewing angles are terrible. The lid has to be tilted at just the right angle, and even then, if the centre of the screen is ok, the screen will start to look bad towards the edges (which will be at a different angle) - the viewing angles are that poor.