on 26 October 2014
great laptop, sleek design
on 18 May 2013
I purchased this laptop in late April sadly at a higher price than it is currently being sold at. I read the comments and criticisms of the item with interest. However all can be addressed with some simple configurations;

1. Colours washed out - You can increase the Saturation in the Intel HD Graphic Properties (You can find it in the Control Panel called "Intel(R) Graphics and Media") click it and navigate to "Display" >"Colour Enhancement" > "Saturation", for my setting I slide it to 20, but it is up to the individual user whether you like more colour in it or not.

2. Problems with Windows 8 on a non touchscreen device - Download a little piece of software called 'Startisback' (www.startisback.com)and you can set up the Acer as not only a Windows 7 User Interface but allows you to flip between a Windows 7 and Windows 8 UI so you can have both.

3. Sensitive mouse pad - it does take a bit of getting used to but connecting a wireless mouse effectively bypasses the problem

This is a good piece of kit from Acer and with these minor modifications, it is truly excellent!
11 Comment| 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 July 2013
For the price, this is an excellent ultrabook. It zips along, is pretty smooth and is as light as a feather.
And I write as an iMac, macbook and ipad user.
The only real drawback is that, at the end of the day, Win 8 on a laptop without a touch screen is a slightly strange experience – kind of two worlds in one. I suppose each user needs to find their way of working, switching (or not), between the traditional Windows laptop experience and the Win 8 app experience. Personally, the win 8 app thing doesn't really do it for me. However, there are a number of very welcome additions in Win 8, such as the back-up facility, which is about as like Time Machine as it's possible to be without actually being Time Machine. There are several other Mac-like additions, all of them good.
At the end of the day, using this laptop feels rather like using a poor man's Macbook Air or Macbook Pro; but at this price, it's only those who can afford the huge price differential who should even think about a mac alternative instead of this great, value-for-money little machine. Then again, if you have the dosh, there's no comparison....
on 15 May 2013
Let me start with the cons:

CONS
- Fan often goes on, so it's noisy. This can happen while doing mundane stuff, like web surfing
- Colors are washed out. The only good thing about the LCD is that it extends all the way back, nearly 180 degrees
- Shallow key travel makes for a subpar typing experience. It really is quite shallow to other notebook keyboards I've used. Almost comparable to the Surface keyboard cover.
- Poor keyboard layout, e.g. function keys aren't activated by a fn + x combo, but more useful keys are; the lift shift key is cut in half; 1/3 of the Enter key is cut off; the tilde is placed oddly, etc.
- The trackpad is super-clicky, but otherwise ok
- Battery life is nowhere near 6hrs. I'm getting about 3 while not doing anything too heavy and screen brightness at around 75% (bluetooth off, wifi on). One might be able to get 4hrs, but I guess you'd have to be doing something as basic as word processing.

PROS
- I paid a mere 430 quid for the Core i5, latest Ivy Bridge version with 500GB HDD and 20GB SSD. That's crazy cheap for this thin and light notebook
- This thing is very thin and very light.
- 2 USB 3.0 ports, though some may not like their rear placement
- Full HDMI out port
- Decent design and construction, especially for the price
- Fully compatible out of the box with linux (Kubuntu in my case), save for one config edit for brightness control

I'd recommend this thing to anyone looking for a thin and light notebook on a budget provided you can score it for very cheap. If you need a lot of battery juice though, I'd look somewhere else.
77 Comments| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 October 2014
Awful touchpad and keyboard make this machine unusable.

I have now lived with this PC for several months, trying to use it. No matter which drivers you install and how you tweak them, the touch pad used on this machine is utterly awful. The mouse cursor skips all over the place and you just cannot use the left or right click buttons without the cursor moving.

Who ever had the idea of making the commonly used Page Up and down buttons half the size of the other keys clearly does not use a PC.

This could have been a great machine with its build, power etc. however the touch pad and keyboard really do make this machine unusable for anything but web browsing. One star as it is useless.
on 1 February 2016
On first sight the spec on this machine are awesome especially compared to equivalent ultrabooks and what you have to pay for them. A machine can look brilliant and sleek but the reason for it’s purchase is it usability. This machine is poor in all regards. The keypad is awful. The battery life is less than half what is says on the blurb, I am running screen brightness at 50% I have to consistently have the charger with me. The fan makes such a racket my friend jokes the combined harvester has started. The machine crashes on Windows 10 as Aser do not support windows 10 for this model which is crazy. Internet connectivity is rubbish. It has a max capacity of 4gb ram which can not be increased. Put some more money in and buy a better machine.
on 19 July 2013
i bought this a few days ago and when it came I saw that the colours were a bit dull and not very vibrant and bright. however as I started using it I saw that it was pretty fast and reliable. it plays games very well and shows text nicely. what all so impressed me was how thin it was and the design is beautiful. finally I realized the keyboard isn't very nicely laid out. for example the arrow keys are minute. overall it is a nice laptop and worth getting if your looking for a portable, fast, thin, well design laptop.
on 11 August 2013
This is a fantastic laptop - compact and light, good quality build and excellent performance, which is perfect for my use. Battery life doesn't seem to be amazing, however certainly not bad.
Given some of the other reviews I really wasn't sure about the Acer, for example I read a complaint about the noise of the fan, which was utter nonsense as it is incredibly quiet! The screen is fine too - I noticed there were some comments about it being poor but for £400 you couldn't say it is a weakness. Finally, if you buy an Ultrabook, would you genuinely expect the speakers to be any good? I haven't tested them and doubt I will as this won't be used for watching films.

My only gripe is: WINDOWS 8. To be fair, this is not Acer's fault, however it comes with the product and is so annoying that it requires a mention. After a week I'm so fed up with various screens appearing/disappearing that I'm close to sending this back and find a Windows 7 version. It genuinely is excruciating (as I wrote that and moved my mouse to do a spell check a load of icons just appeared, and I don't even know how to find Word quickly so I can't be bothered!) I'm sure that I'll get used to it, I just can't be bothered to learn a new operating system when the old one was fine.

Anyway, the Acer does deserve 5 stars despite Windows 8.
on 22 July 2013
Been using it for a month. Very good performance up to date. Bought this after reading many reviews. I think I made the right decision. If you want something reasonably priced but good, just go for it. It does what it promises. Really super quick start up and shut down. Previous reviews have mentioned about fan noise. Yes, fan is noticeable sometimes but it is not that irritating. Battery generally lasts for 3 hours with normal use. Track pad and keyboard needs adjusting otherwise okay.
on 10 August 2013
I put off buying this product for a while after bad reviews I had read - the fan going off for example. I didn't even notice the fan until I was sitting in complete silence by myself at 2am! The ultrabook is great, I was worried that it wouldn't be able to handle big programmes but I can run Photoshop on it just fine. I think I've had about 5 tabs open on the internet at once too and it hasn't slowed down. I absolutely love this laptop, it's a perfect size and so light and compact that I can take it to and from sixth form every day. Most windows 8 laptops have touchscreen nowadays but I really don't think you need it to be touch screen! Overall I'm so pleased with my ultrabook, it's perfect for me and I just wish I hadn't read so many negative reviews so I could have got it sooner! Also this price is SUPER cheap, it's this price in Curry's for the i3 version so grab it whilst you can :)