Acer Aspire S3-391 13.3-inch Ultrabook - Aluminium (Intel Core i5 3317U 1.7GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8 64-bit)
- Enter your model number above to make sure this fits.
- Save time with Acer Green Instant On. Put the S3 to sleep and spring it back to life in less than 2 seconds
- The sleek and stylish aluminium and magnesium alloy chassis is strong and light, helping the Aspire S3 weigh less than 1.4 Kg
- Professionally tuned speakers with Dolby Home Theater v4 for cinema-quality sound
- HDMI connectivity allows you to easily connect your S3 to any compatible TV or monitor
- The Aspire S3 features an innovative thermal design that keeps you comfortable even when you use the notebook for hours at a time
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Acer Aspire S3 Ultrabook -- Thin. Fast. Portable. Connected.
Experience the next revolution in computing with the Acer Aspire S3 Ultrabook.
Viewed from any angle, the Aspire S3 is super slender. At its thinnest point, it's just 13 mm (0.51") slim.
The 'champagne'-finish Mg-Al design gives the Aspire S3 a sleek look and feel and makes the notebook as light as a feather - at only 1.35 kg - while also protecting the LCD.
Integrated Design LCD
Revolutionary display technology integrates the LCD screen into the 13.3" frame, cutting the bezel thickness by a third. What's more, the LCD is protected by a resilient case design with aluminium cage for maximum protection.
Cool and Comfortable
The Aspire S3 features an innovative thermal design that keeps you comfortable even when you use the notebook for hours at a time. The airflow design channels air from the keyboard to keep the notebook constantly cool, and directs warm air toward the rear, away from you.
SSD & HDD options
Acer Aspire S3 is one of the only Ultrabooks with a hard disk drive (HDD) option***, providing large storage space (500GB). A solid state drive (SSD) enables fast data access, is light and quiet, and features a sturdy design for ultraportable devices.
Next Generation Intel Core ULV Processors
The Acer Aspire S3 comes equipped with the power of the next generation Intel Core Ivy Bridge ULV (Ultra Low Voltage) processors, giving you the option of a Core i3, Core i5 or a Core i7. Designed to give you multitasking performance with the ultimate in power efficiency, the Intel Core ULV processors enable you to work faster and have more fun, with less waiting.
Aluminium/Mg-Al Alloy Frame
Strong as steel, light as ABS plastic - the Aluminium/Mg-Al design of the Aspire S3 gives you the best of both worlds. But thin and light does not also mean hot - the innovative thermal efficiency found inside the S3 allows for comfortable extended use.
Thanks to Acer Instant On, the Acer Aspire S3 with an embedded high-density, highly flexible and super-lightweight Li-polymer battery pack provides up to 6.5 hours of usage, and up to 80 days using Acer Green Instant On.* **
Acer Green Instant On
Put the Aspire S3 to sleep, and spring it back to life in just 1.5 seconds from Sleep mode. After 8 hours in Sleep mode, or after the period you set, the notebook enters Deep Sleep, conserving battery life for up to 80 days.* ** Yet, when you return, your Aspire S3 turns right on in 6 seconds, and everything looks exactly as you left it.
Acer Instant Connect for 4x Faster Internet Connections
The Aspire S Series remembers your favourite access points (APs) or new places visited, and reconnects to them instantly, so you can get on the Internet in just 2.5 seconds - that's up to four times faster(^ ^^) than notebooks without this technology.
Acer Crystal Eye 1.3 MP HD Webcam
This HD webcam with built-in microphone presents clear, lifelike images, and supports video recording and photo capture. The Acer Crystal Eye webcam has a 1280 x 1024 resolution, and is also able to record 720p videos easily.
Acer InviLink Nplify 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Connectivity
Surf the Internet and stay in touch with your people with reliable, high-speed connectivity via Ethernet or Wi-Fi. A Wi-Fi CERTIFIED wireless-N network connection enables long-range, fast, reliable wireless Internet.
Bluetooth 4.0 + HS
Bluetooth 4.0 is the latest standard for quick, short-range wireless file transfers, featuring low-energy technology that significantly reduces power consumption.
High-speed USB 3.0
The next generation of USB connectivity transfers data to and from external devices 10x faster than USB 2.0, taking advantage of capabilities supported by many of the newest devices.
Acer clear.fi Cross-platform Multimedia Sharing
Easy to set up, clear.fi takes the complication out of sharing your music, photos and movies between multiple devices. It will automatically detect new devices that have been connected, from PCs to Smartphones, running Windows, Linux, or Android. From there it's easy to search devices for music, photos and videos within the home network, easy to share between devices. Thanks to clear.fi and the HDMI port your PC can stream and appreciate the multimedia stored on any of the devices that are connected to your home network and clear.fi enabled.
Beautifully Rich Sound with Dolby Home Theater v4 & HDMI
Slender but bold, the Aspire S3 sports professionally tuned speakers with Dolby Home Theater v4 for trumpeting cinema-quality sound, while HDMI connectivity is your ticket to high-definition large-screen entertainment.
* In Deep Sleep mode, battery life lasts up to 80 days if the battery is fully charged when the notebook goes to Sleep.
** The listed battery life is based on MobileMark 2007 productivity mode testing with wireless on. Details of MobileMark2007 testing are available at the BAPCo website. Battery life rating is for comparison purposes only. Actual battery life varies by model, configuration, applications, power management settings, operating conditions, and utilized features. A battery's maximum capacity decreases with time and use.
*** With embedded SSD, which is integrated with the mainboard and dedicated to Acer Green Instant On. It is not visible in file explorers.
^ With previously used access points.
^^ Time based on testing with the following applications open: Internet Explorer 9 (Internet search and email web pages), PowerPoint viewer (file size 68 MB) and Excel (file size 108 MB) of Microsoft Office 2010 Starter, and logged in to Windows Live Messenger 2011.
Top Customer Reviews
1. Colours washed out - You can increase the Saturation in the Intel HD Graphic Properties (You can find it in the Control Panel called "Intel(R) Graphics and Media") click it and navigate to "Display" >"Colour Enhancement" > "Saturation", for my setting I slide it to 20, but it is up to the individual user whether you like more colour in it or not.
2. Problems with Windows 8 on a non touchscreen device - Download a little piece of software called 'Startisback' (www.startisback.com)and you can set up the Acer as not only a Windows 7 User Interface but allows you to flip between a Windows 7 and Windows 8 UI so you can have both.
3. Sensitive mouse pad - it does take a bit of getting used to but connecting a wireless mouse effectively bypasses the problem
This is a good piece of kit from Acer and with these minor modifications, it is truly excellent!
- Fan often goes on, so it's noisy. This can happen while doing mundane stuff, like web surfing
- Colors are washed out. The only good thing about the LCD is that it extends all the way back, nearly 180 degrees
- Shallow key travel makes for a subpar typing experience. It really is quite shallow to other notebook keyboards I've used. Almost comparable to the Surface keyboard cover.
- Poor keyboard layout, e.g. function keys aren't activated by a fn + x combo, but more useful keys are; the lift shift key is cut in half; 1/3 of the Enter key is cut off; the tilde is placed oddly, etc.
- The trackpad is super-clicky, but otherwise ok
- Battery life is nowhere near 6hrs. I'm getting about 3 while not doing anything too heavy and screen brightness at around 75% (bluetooth off, wifi on). One might be able to get 4hrs, but I guess you'd have to be doing something as basic as word processing.
- I paid a mere 430 quid for the Core i5, latest Ivy Bridge version with 500GB HDD and 20GB SSD. That's crazy cheap for this thin and light notebook
- This thing is very thin and very light.
- 2 USB 3.0 ports, though some may not like their rear placement
- Full HDMI out port
- Decent design and construction, especially for the price
- Fully compatible out of the box with linux (Kubuntu in my case), save for one config edit for brightness control
I'd recommend this thing to anyone looking for a thin and light notebook on a budget provided you can score it for very cheap. If you need a lot of battery juice though, I'd look somewhere else.
Then one morning we didn't do well. I don't know if one or other of us hadn't had enough coffee, or maybe too much?
So we started to fall out...
The bloomin wireless. Two kindles, a tablet, two other laptops and none of the dropping out. But Arthur Acer, he was and spitting his dummy. OK, OK so not a huge issue as you just disconnect and reconnect and it appears again but sure made working on my web mail interesting. He was making me work for his attention, I've never been good with needy men.
Then came another slight issue where he obviously felt I'd been a bit bondage and not lovers caress with him. Sticky keys... I promise I did nothing but yet he decided that the return key was going to stick on. Not only did this make it impossible to write anything that made sense it also made it pretty difficult to boot up. Then when the escape key decided to do the same thing things really got interesting.
I talked to him nicely, got him to understand my point of view, he booted one last time to retrieve some info and was flattened. Like an ex lover squished under the heel of my stiletto.
So he is returning to his ex wife - Amazon that she is. Perhaps she will have more luck with him!
`srtill getting my head @ windows 8 but I`m sure It`ll be fine!!! all in all , very pleased & one word of note, having read previous reviews that the fan is noisy, absolute rubbish, haven`t even noticed it !!
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Nice laptop that's only let down by the quality of the display. Wish the colours were better.Published 7 months ago by Adam Rigg
This is just exactly what I wanted , looks good and performs well , I did a lot of research before I committed myself to making this purchase its not the cheapest around but... Read morePublished 7 months ago by JRes
+ Fast: very quick boot up (faster than friends' Macs!), handles all basic programmes with ease. However, I don't use demanding software like video editing suites so can't comment... Read morePublished 9 months ago by Mr Robbie Packer
On first sight the spec on this machine are awesome especially compared to equivalent ultrabooks and what you have to pay for them. Read morePublished 10 months ago by Amazon Customer
14 months after purchase the keyboard started to fail. I just got an never ending stream of the letter U. Read morePublished 11 months ago by Richard A.
Nice laptop, but battery stopped working wishing 6 months, lasting no longer than 30 mins.Published 15 months ago by Conor999
This machine is absolutely rubbish. My wife and I only use (and have installed) Microsoft Office and Firefox / Internet Explorer for web browsing. Read morePublished 16 months ago by Mr