on 25 July 2014
Works well right out of the box. ACER supply some silly utilities and the usual pre installed security software but the rest of it is fine. Its a Which recommendation for low cost laptop and it meets expectations.
on 19 April 2017
Good product, bought for a present, still working ok.
on 23 June 2017
on 18 April 2015
Total rubbIsh. Wouldn't even switch on so had to be returned. Do not touch with a barge pole!!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 24 November 2014
Colour: Iron|Style: 1TB HDD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Acer Aspire E1-570 15.6-inch Laptop (Intel Core i3 3217U 1.8GHz, 6GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVDMDL, LAN, WLAN, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8.1)

In the box.
========
The main laptop,
Battery,
UK Mains unit and plug,
Quick start and service guides.

Main spec.
Webcam and mic,
3.5 mm stereo headphone jack,
Lithium ion 4 cell battery,
USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 (blue) sockets,
Multi card reader for camera cards etc.

Set up.
======
The first job is to attach the battery to the back of the unit which is very easy as it only fits one way. Plug it in and switch on, my router was found wirelessly and I entered the password an it was online. The initial set up is quick, just register with Acer and Microsoft and that's it really. As I already have accounts with both it was very quick - about 3 minutes from switch on to the Windows 8.1 welcome screen. You then get the option to download some Acer cloud management software for pictures and files. I did this and it took around five minutes. This software allows document and pictures to be saved in the cloud.

Build quality.
==========
The unit is well made in gunmetal coloured plastic. The keyboard is fine for a laptop. The keys are well spaced and quite positive to push. The mouse pad is fine for general internet browsing but I will attach a larger mouse for picture editing and more intricate tasks. I am not a great fan of mouse pads. The unit is quite slim line and fits into my work bag easily and does not add too much weight overall. The build quality is very good for a medium range laptop.

In use.
=====
The system comes with McAfee internet protection installed, a few Acer apps and links to Google, Kindle and a few games as well as the usual Windows management tiles. There is a trail version of Office 365 already on the system. I have dumped this for Office 2010 which I already have. It loaded and set up without any problems. There are plenty of free office and basic picture editing software on the web.

Running spread sheets and my companies database it is very quick and responsive and recalculates very large spreadsheets instantly. This is all I need it for plus storing photo files and a lot of music. All of this it does very well and this is the intended market for a machine of this specification. It makes a useful mobile office and entertainment machine. It will run simpler games but it will struggle with the latest ones as it will need a machine of much greater graphics horsepower than this and a bigger spend.
The webcam is fine for Skype and the mic picks up voice well.
The card reader reads my SDHC cards with no problems and is quite fast to transfer.

Windows 8.1
==========
This is a marginal improvement over the original Windows 8.0 but I still find it too much change over Windows 7 for me. I am prepared to give it a go for a bit longer but will be tempted to put 7 on it as I am very familiar with it. Being middle aged and needing computer to work for me I just find the 8 platform a bit too much change too soon for my ageing brain!

Battery life.
=========
I used it for light work, web browsing and listening to music today and it gave me just under 5.5 hours which is quite good for a laptop in this range. Obviously like all computers over time this will come down.

Overall.
======
A competent laptop suited to general use by business people or students who want a do it all machine. The larger storage is a bonus as 1Tb will store a lot of data, music, pictures and movies. Use this machine for what it is designed and marketed for and it will fit in fine. The Acer cloud backup storage is also useful and I am just exploring this. If you want a hard-core gaming machine then you will need to spend more and look at more powerful models but for my use the balance is just right. A would have preferred it to come with a Windows 7 option but I'll persevere with Windows 8.1 for now.
33 Comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 April 2014
Laptop according to specs really happy with performance for home use !! Would highly recommend it as very good price vs performance
on 29 March 2014
Received this laptop today, plug and play straight from the box. As always with Acer, fantastic quality/price ratio! Highly recommended.
on 5 July 2014
Really good laptop, great value for money. Only one fly in the ointment: windows 8.1! However, one quick download from www.classicshell.com and I can make it look (and work) like XP or Windows 7. So in summary:
Laptop: Great
Operating system: Crap, but fixable.
on 22 April 2014
For the price (around £340), this is not a bad lap top.

A couple of things have proved annoying with use, however, & I don't think I'd recommend it very highly.

Annoyances:
- mousepad is over reactive, often selecting items without me left clicking on them.

-sound quality: tinny and not very pleasant.

- Windows 8: not the fault of the laptop but really, seriously NOT an improvement on windows 7!!

Good stuff:
- reliable connectivity: even my erratic router hasn't managed to interrupt me yet!
- feels light & looks sleek
- good memory size
22 Comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 January 2015
I unfortunately received a faulty machine from Amazon Warehouse so my 2 star rating may be biased due to the amount of time I spent emailing Microsoft and Acer due to the Windows Product key being fake on the machine I received. The laptop itself was nice but I had a few issues with it which made it not really fit for purpose eventually.

The sound only worked half of the time, so when it didn't I always had to disable and re-enable the driver to get it to work again, which was annoying in itself but it was especially frustrating when restarting the computer was the only way to proceed further (this was a requirement about half of the time). The driver was up-to-date as well so it wasn't like it just needed updating.

Sometimes the start screen would flicker on and off, so the only option was to restart it by holding down the button.

The screen always had a glare when watching anything filmed at night or in a dark house. Even if I was watching it at night, in the dark with all the lights out.

Despite this, I liked the laptop. Windows 8 is fine, the laptop is quite light and looked snazzy. Everything loaded really quickly and I didn't have problems doing every day tasks and watching programmes (except for the screen glare!). I also liked the keys and track pad as it was really user friendly.

However, I eventually gave in and sent it back once I did a factory reset on it, as recommended by Acer, in the hope that my Windows product key would work to activate Windows. Not only was the Windows key unsurprisingly still fake, but the laptop was now completely unable to connect to the internet via wifi or cable. I was a bit sad to send it back as I had kind of bonded with the laptop but it seemed to be developing more and more problems and I'd only had it a couple of weeks.

Amazon were fantastic though and gave me the money to purchase the new software, but the other problems made me think that sending it back and buying a different laptop was the best option. And I'm glad I did.

I'm sure I just received a dodgy machine but it would be a nice laptop otherwise.