- Also check our best rated Biography reviews
Accidental Ambassador Gordo: The Comic Strip Art of Gus Arriola (Studies in Popular Culture (Paperback)) Paperback – 30 Sep 2000
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Inside Flap
A biography of the notable Mexican American cartoonist and an appreciative history of his creation
About the Author
Robert C. Harvey, a comics historian and critic, is a cartoonist who writes for The Comics Journal, Comics Buyers' Guide, and Cartoonist PROfiles. Among his books are The Art of the Funnies: An Aesthetic History (1994) and The Art of the Comic Book: An Aesthetic History (1996). Both are published by the University Press of Mississippi.
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
several years of this marvelous strip,
we see Pepito grow up. Also, some "Gordo Gossip"...I didn't know that Tehuana Mama (Gordo's housekeeper...she's one of my favorite characters)
had been married 5 times! Oh, how I loved Arriola's "Gordo," and
looked forward to reading it every day. It was a huge part of my
childhood. Marvelous characters...Poet and Poosy Gato and Coronado
really rang my bells. This strip wasn't childish...Gus did not
"talk down" to us kids. I loved it all. And I deeply appreciate
this book. But I do wish there were more strips!
The cartoonist has a great sense of humor and a unique drawing style. The book is essentially the story of the life of Gus Arriola, which is an interesting one, interspersed with many, many samples of his cartoons, both daily and Sunday. So this book has to be taken as a biography rather than as a compendium of the cartoonist's work.
This story of the life of Gus and Mary Frances Arriola is a nice one, full of laughter and good friends and fulfilling work. It is also very, very good to relive some of the cartoon moments that are also provided. No, this book is not the complete works of Gordo, and I would like to see that happen someday soon. But in its own right, it's a great book.
If you like cartoons and have an interest in cartoonists, you should have fun with this one.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Painting & Drawing > Techniques & Tools
- Books > Biography > Artists, Architects & Photographers
- Books > Biography > Novelists, Poets & Playwrights
- Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Cartooning
- Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Genre
- Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Publishers > Dark Horse
- Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Publishers > Fantagraphics
- Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Publishers > Hamlyn
- Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Publishers > Image Comics
- Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Publishers > Titan Books
- Books > Fiction > Anthologies
- Books > Humour
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Cultural Studies