Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 November 2012
As an old-fashioned student of languages I have difficulties with modern-style language books which have the approach of 'Introducing yourself and talking about yourself', 'Making a hotel reservation','Describing your home' and the like. I prefer the building block approach to grammar with a storyline.
Having said all that the book does its job BUT it seems that the CD has to be bought separately which adds huge expense. I make do with a CD from a different coursebook and use of the Internet to listen to real Italian.
I truly cannot rate this book higher than other such books on the market. The Language Centre chose this one and that's why I bought it!
on 4 September 2017
Everything was very good. Thanks a lot.
on 3 September 2004
I had been waiting for over two months for this title to be published and sent to me and when it finally arrived I was rather disappointed by the way topics are arranged in it.
There is no index of topic areas, skills practised or grammar aspects in each unit.
It offers a variety of activities according to the new vision of language teaching which involves group and mingling activities BUT the layout is very confusing, the pictures and drawings are of poor quality. Not very appealing to students (or teachers).
on 20 April 2013
I bought this as it was the courses book for some evening classes I took. It seems a bit clumsy and awkward to follow in a logical fashion.

In my opinion, there are much better books available for beginners. (BBC Talk Italian, for example).

However, maybe it just didn't suit my learning style.

This book is not terrible...I just didn't find it particularly useful.
on 24 May 2013
Useful, good exercises, not good to learn italian from scratch but as a complement to classes or other cds etc.
on 18 July 2013
Chose the rating as book was in excellent condition - like new.

Very good for home use and use in the classroom for short courses as recommended for the shorter 10-12 week language courses.
As a visual learner I find the book manageable due to the way that it is laid out - hence making it easier to memorise the language.
on 26 October 2013
Most of the time you can find what you're looking for in the book, but I do feel that the layout can be a bit unhelpful. I'm using this book alongside going to an Italian class so it could be in part the way the classes are structured, but from other reviews I've heard there are better books out there.
on 12 October 2011
Excellent condition and good price on Amazon. It was classed as a used library book with possible writing inside but is in perfect condition. Arrived in very good time by post.
Good book for beginners. Excellent value for money.
on 26 March 2009
Easy to follow and logical progression but much more useful if you purchase it together with the accompanying CD - well worth the extra cost.
on 1 April 2013
Clearly set out full of visual prompts this is a good book to support group studies. Be prepared to purchase the accompanying support CDs.