I do not know why these are not seen in Bike shops more as they are much more practical that D-Locks and the fact you can secure it to the frame far more tightly than a D lock makes it far more pleasant to carry around.

It can be easily fixed to the Water Bottle screws on the upright or slanting tube and weighs less than a D-Lock.

I do not think they are quite as secure as a top rated D lock, hence the reason I gave it 4 stars, not 5, but they still have the same Sold Secure Gold, or Abus Level 15, security rating.

In addition the movement of the metal bars would make leverage against itself very difficult, if anyone tried to pry it open. It is also easier to manipulate around posts etc. than a D Lock

It has a much bigger opening than a D-Lock and does not flap about on your bike when riding and although it feels heavier than a large D lock it is NOT.
It is simply because the weight is concentrated in a smaller area, that it feels heavier.

If you weigh this lock and then a large D lock you will more than likely find the D lock weighs more. I was very surprised by this, when I weighed them, as initially I thought that this lock was much heavier.

Dont bother with the latest Bordo version for £15 more. This is better than the latest version, as the newer version has a soft rubber covering, that tears. This has a harder plastic covering, but it still DOESNT scratch your paintwork.

HIGHLY recommended.
17 people found this helpful
|1010 Comments|Report abuse
on 28 August 2011
Abus have done well to produce the Bordo range, which provide a neat solution for cyclists who want to carry their lock on the frame, but lack the space to accommodate a D lock. I'm really pleased with mine. It's well designed and it does its job. I've attached the case to the crossbar using the velcro straps. It doesn't move and there is no rattling. The lock itself is a bit harder to use than the rigid D lock type but that's no great problem.

The down side is the weight and the price - this model is the strongest (so heaviest) and most expensive in the Bordo range. It's terribly sad to have to spend so much on something that will bring so little pleasure. But I don't want my bike to be nicked, so I chose to get the most secure lock in the range. I read have somewhere that you should buy a lock costing about 10% of the price of your bike.
9 people found this helpful
on 26 April 2017
I was a bit surprised that no fitting bolts were included with this ABUS folding lock.To make it more secure , than just the velcose straps onto the
bottle cage fittings. My CUBE Hybrid bike didn't come with any bolts when bought new..I also have a ABUS Granite Plus 54 and that came with all the fittings to attach it to the frame.. I've had to order some bolts today at more expense.
on 1 February 2015
This lock takes some getting used to. there is a "knack" to locking it quickly. the best way i have found is to threat it "on its side" through the frame and then grab to loop round a bike rack or whatever.

However I was used to it i found it great. it is much more versatile than the D lock it replaced. It has a sold secure "gold" rating, which is reassuring and also puts it on the approved lock list of my insurer.
One person found this helpful
on 27 December 2013
bought for my 20" folding bike and find it quite tricky getting through the tight spaces between the spokes

combined with the restricted movement inherent with the design (compared to a more flexible chain or cable lock for example) it's a bit disappointing really but, as per my review title, potentially much better with bigger wheeled bikes
3 people found this helpful
on 19 March 2017
Excellent but for one issue: The claim that "Velcro strap allow attaching to anywhere on your frame" works on most bike frames, but not on all Giant MTB frames.
on 18 December 2014
delivered quickly, well packaged. heavy lock but well worth it.
It looks a substantial lock on your bike when it is parked up I also have a D Lock as
the 2 different locks will put thieves off, even though this lock on its own would. Simple to use and a good buy.
on 1 February 2018
Heavy but robust and secure so far. Easy to use.
on 7 October 2015
I needed a really strong and secure lock to qualify for my insurance. This is gold certificate. But the best thing about the lock is how it folds up and can be stored on the frame. It can fold out enough for most situations but would need a cable for those tricky thick or distant cycle secure posts.
Alternatively you could carry it within a small bag.
on 6 February 2015
Very sturdy, goes well with my Brompton, although it doesn't fit between the rear triangle and the frame as I expected (the smaller model should, if you flip the retainer clip around), but it sits comfortable on top of the frame.
One person found this helpful