Customer reviews

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 15 September 2016
I have owned The Sandman in almost every iteration, from the original monthly comic books to softbound 'graphic novel' collected works. With Absolute Sandman, I will never need another copy as they are simply beautiful. Each large leather bound tome is encased in a matching sleeve with artwork by the legendary Dave McKean. His distinctive stylings are further reproduced on each cover, with attractive stamped detail and silver lettering. Whether you are an old fan or a newcomer, I can't recommend this set of books highly enough. They are still as fresh and immersive today as the first time I found them, and stand up well as the pinnacle of the author's storytelling powers. I'll forever be appreciative of Neil Gaiman's other work but for me The Sandman is a true legacy.

Volume One begins with a foreword by Paul Levitz. We then are introduced to the world of the Endless with now classic stories, laid out in vivid retouched colour on high quality paper. It's still enthralling for me to follow Morpheus through his imprisonment, or meet his sibling Death in "The Sound of Her Wings" as if it were the very first time. These stories still have the power to captivate, and I make it my business to enjoy them once a year or so. At the end of the book, alongside the original proposal for the series by Gaiman, is a printing of the pencilled Midsummer Night's Dream with notes from the man himself. It's an interesting way to draw back the curtain for the reader, and a fun fresh perspective. A brilliant read.
review imagereview imagereview image
3 people found this helpful
on 1 March 2016
such a great collection and beautifully made. one tiny comment I have is to do with the size of it. It's actually quite big and heavy making reading it a bit of a problem. But not too much :) It's a great gift for people who admire Gaiman.
on 27 June 2016
I'd forgotten the stunning quality of this work, the genius of it storyline, the originality of concept, the flawless artwork. This new high colour presentation serves to highlight how even after over 20 years, very few graphic novels come close to equalling its brilliance. A must for anyone with an appreciation of the 'bande dessinee' artform.
on 5 June 2014
awesome quality - very classy way to own & display the Sandman graphics comics. Will be on the look out for the other volumes
on 9 October 2014
Great, great, great if I didn't think so I would not give it 5 stars.
on 6 April 2017
Fantastic for the fans of fantasy!
on 10 December 2012
Regardless of the contents themselves, I took the time to let you know that the quality of the print, binding and box is amazing.
One person found this helpful
on 9 February 2014
If you are late getting into the Sandman like me I cannot recommend this high enough. Quality of the drawings are outstanding
on 28 December 2013
Everything was correct, it had good packaging to avoid damage. A bit late but not too much. Would buy again
on 18 July 2014