The ASTD Training and Development Handbook: A Guide to Human Resource Development (McGraw-Hill Training Series) Hardcover – 1 Jun 1996
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
From the Back Cover
The standard reference in the field--now more timely than ever! The ASTD Training & Development Handbook This is the book that human resource development professionals have long turned to for the most up-to-date knowledge available in designing employee training and learning systems. sponsored by the American Society for Training and Development, the Handbook is a collection of the newest and best ideas from today's leading companies and top executives. This fourth Edition, 80 percent of which is new material, covers such areas of current interest as: creating the "learning organization"; Outsourcing; Electronic performance support systems; Interactive multimedia and development; Training for global operations; Benchmarking for best practices; And much more!
Top customer reviews
Each chapter addresses a single topic (like corporate universities, customer service training, leadership development, etc.) and is written in a straight-forward manner at the right depth making them easy to read and the perfect introduction to the topic without losing it's functionality as a reference.
No T&D professional should go without this book whether as a reference and a quick source of information when memory will just not oblige or an informative and valuable resource for information and ideas.
The Handbook is divided into 5 Sections:
1) The Training & development Function - Covering such topics as the learning organization, history of training and cost accounting for training.
2) Program Design & Development - The chapters on ISD; HPT; Adult Learning; & Evaluation are brilliantly written. I keep on going back to them again and again.
3) Media & methods - Includes some good case studies as well as Thiagi's excellent chapter on instructional games.
4) Training Applications - This is a brilliant discussion of almost all training topics that you might come across.
5) Resources - While these might be a little dated, they are still quite useful.
Check the table of Contents and some of the samples in the pages so obligingly provided by Amazon.com and don't be deterred by the length or the price of the book. This book is worth every cent and will last you long after you have forgotten the cost.
As I research and write my Adult Education thesis, this book is the most useful tool I've found.
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Careers > Entrepreneurship
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Management > Human Resources > Human Resources Management
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Management > Human Resources > Professional Development
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Management > Human Resources > Training
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Management > Management Skills > Coaching & Mentoring
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Small Business & Entrepreneurship > Entrepreneurship