on 1 October 2014
Classic inspiring book indeed - very engaging,very in-depth study of the various type of LOVE ('Brotherly Love; Motherly Love; Erotic Love; Self Love; Love of God).
My favourite chapter is : Love and its Disintegration in Contemporary Western Society - we are all aware of it but Fromm writes with such clarity and eloquence.
Love is 'teamwork' (care, responsibility, respect etc.) and an ART -we need to develop and practice in order to find true contentment.
I am under the spell of Erich Fromm and just purchased his book on : The Art of Being. His philosophy is more 'down -to- earth' compared to Carl Rogers (- but this is a personal opinion and I know I am a minority by making statement like this ...)
on 7 October 2017
Great 3/4 of the book, then hits this "religion" section which does not seem coherent with the rest of the book, made the remaining sections of the book difficult to read. Could just skip the chapter on religion and read the rest, rest of it is well written and does have insights on self love
on 10 July 2017
Probably the best definition of true love ever given!
This book is so good I can't put it down, Erich Fromm was an expert and cant wait to read more of his works.
Excellent book!
on 3 June 2017
Swift delivery. Item as described.
on 4 September 2017
Very poetic, if a little abstract
on 18 September 2017
The best definition of love I've come across and therefore indirectly the most instructive work concerning it.
on 11 March 2017
A must read for all of humanity - to know why we are here - the purpose of love and the joys of it.. .
on 13 August 2017
This is a philosophy of life book as relevant today as it was when it was written in the 50's.
Recommended reading even essential reading.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 30 July 2012
I was a little worried the content of this book would be beyond me (having no background or formal education in any of the core subjects such as philosophy, religion and psychoanalysis) but it turned out to be a riveting read. At times a little heavy and requiring a re-read of some paragraphs it nonetheless avoids any jargon and seems to do a good job of justifying all of the points made.

It is at heart more a book about what love can considered to be rather than a manual on how to love better. The latter being given only a short section at the back and concentrating on techniques not unlike meditation (mostly along the theme of living the life that is now, being open in spirit and being honest with yourself, who you should learn to love first).

The descriptions of various types of love and what can and does go wrong in childhood are fascinating. I am sure most of us see some of our own lives described. It also touches on sexual deviance as a result of lack of love or avoiding love, plus the impact of both modern society and religion on our capacity to love. I'd particularly credit the author on the chapter on religious love which covers so much ground in such a short space without becoming overly technical.

This definitely isn't a quick fix self help book on how to love better - but as a deep, meaningful and comprehensive journey into what love actually is, a superb read.
on 30 September 2013
This book should be given to children at pre-adolescent age. It will remove all preconceptions of love that we have inn the west and allow for harmonious relationships to be achieved in their lives.

Why we only find it when we are too old to change is beyond me. This book is still radically innovative and honest. Keep it at home and lend it to all your family and friends!