on 2 February 2014
Look folks the only thing I give a rats about is the story - so what if there are a few typos get over it!
Another chapter in this brilliant series. Can't wait for the next but it will be sad when I finally set that one down. Perhaps I'll just read straight through again as I am wont to do with good books.
on 10 September 2017
Expanding the scale of the story line to include actions across the globe, this book adds further credibility and grittiness to the central story. Terrifyingly plausible, very well written indeed.
on 29 September 2013
Andy Farman's books just get better! This is the 3rd in the series and I snapped it up as soon as I saw it was out!
I've read quite a few of these type book (including the first two, 'Stand to' and 'Advance to Contact') and the story line just improves, its a very good mix of spy/soldier/global view on a WW3 that fortunately never was but this tale is all too believable (computers being hacked etc) and you definitely get the soldiers view of combat and are not spared the grim truths and mistakes in the 'fog of war'It is also refreshing to see the British forces (Army and Navy) get a good story line and not just supporting the Americans as bit part players. (I found the shameful treatment of the returning British solders from the prev book disgusting but all too believable!) The mix of the story threads is about right. The themes switch from the fighting in Europe to China to Russia to Australia to the Kremlin to the Whitehouse to London but the story line is heavy on the combat and where the action is at and this is where its at its stand-out best. There's enough 'tech' to keep the story believable but more human story to keep you reading - you REALLY want to see the story conclude in volume 4 'Crossing the Rubicon'. I can't wait.
on 5 October 2013
Oh why did I read this book knowing that I've got to wait a few months before the final one comes out. I have devoured it within two days on my Kindle and now can't wait until book four comes out. Just like the previous two volumes two absolutely loved it. Couldn't put it down as the battles were raging. Cant wait to find out how it all comes together.
on 2 September 2014
The story is exciting enough, although reality has moved on in that many of the military assets featuring have been scrapped (like British Harriers, Jaguars, ships and regiments) and some of the belligerent nations fighting for the Soviets would today be on different sides. Nevertheless the structure of the book is fast-paced and carries the reader along.

Where it lets itself down is in the non-existent proof-reading before publication. There are far too many errors in spelling, grammar and duplicated or missing words. I found that very irritating because it made me wonder every time I came across a sentence in which I had to make some mental adjustment myself if the author had paused for a tea break at that point, or incompletely deleted something that he had previously written. A decent edit would be rewarding for the reader. One or two mistakes, even in professionally published books, are understandable but this series contains far too many, which is a shame. But for that I would probably have given it another star. One thing which does come through loud and clear is the author's contempt for politicians and their attitude towards the armed services and the police, both of whom they then rely on to clear up their mess. In that I have complete sympathy.

On the whole an enjoyable read if you can live with the mistakes.
on 4 October 2013
What can I say, god was I disappointed when the end came; I want more!!!!
Yes there are minor errors of technical jargon but who the hell knows every element of military hardware from not only the UK military inventory but our NATO allies as well, when add those of the former Warsaw Pact as well as the PRC.
I like the characters, and not surprisingly some of the bad guys can catch you empathising with them.
Andy, you’re doing a good job of keeping me entertained and if anyone else buys your books because of my review, I am sure they will enjoy them too.
on 7 October 2013
The latest book drops you right back into the action as world war 3 rumbles on. You can see the authors style has improved as the series goes on and he carefully manages each section so you just have to keep reading as all the separate plots combine.It's good to see other Nato countries get a mention and each side faces it's own ups and downs.If you've just stumbled upon this be sure to start at the beginning of the series and it wont be too long before you're reading this.
on 6 March 2015
Once again another enthralling volume of the of the Armageddons song series of books, I was gripped by Stand To (volume 1) and this has continued through. The action has not abated and it is a roller coaster ride for the reader. The depth of characters is second to none and through the 3 books so far when you build an opinion or dare I say feeling for a character I found myself saying I really hope they don't get killed (some of which did) and there are others which I thought to myself don't like them hope they get stuffed which they don't always (not yet I suspect) and this is characters in both situations on both sides. The amount of research which must have gone into these books must have been phenomenal, it can't all come from personal experience so hats off to Andy Farman for taking time to produce what has been 3 excellent books (so far) am starting on Volume 4 in the morning and quite frankly can't wait.
on 13 October 2013
My only concern is that there is only one volume left in the series... bo hoo...

Seriously though, a great third part of a projected series of 4 books covering 'WWIII' mainly from a British perspective. Excellent action sequences, great attention to detail (I too remember 'beef bevy..' - no Yank would 'get' this at all..)

One or two literary devices used which enhance the plot and story but somewhat stretch the credulity, but a really really good page tuning read.

Also good sense of balance - the bad guys win at times and the good guys screw up.. that's the way it is.

Buy the complete series!
on 9 October 2013
Andy Farman just keeps getting better ... the story line is completely plausible, enough techno detail to please the technocrats but not enough to detract from the storyline and bore readers. The characters are well rounded. Roll on Volume 4.