Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 August 2014
I chose this rating for the simple fact that I was surprised how much I enjoyed the read,I would have liked a little more depth about some of the other people in the story, such as the engineer that dies during one battle, she is introduced and then she is gone, leaving me not having much empathy due to lack of knowledge about her or the other flight crews that are employed by the main characters.
The story has some intriguing things going for it that I hope carry on building in the next instalment, and I rally like the sound of the little fleet of ships that pack a mighty punch.
One thing that does strike me however is the fact that at times they supposedly have no knowledge of earthly things, and the next you see comments that could only be from our history, small niggle but don't be put off,I really did enjoy the read and look forward to some late bed times reading the next.
on 10 July 2014
I used to read an extraordinary amount of Science Fiction but not for quite a few years now. I saw this on my regular email and decided to buy it. I am very glad I did, it is good old fashion shoot-em-up full of coincidences and nick-of-times but it is smashing to read. Highly recommended.
on 1 August 2014
enjoyable story. fairly fast paced. a bit of a space opera, complete with space ships, new technology, intrigue, aliens and battles.
got this as a free starter offer for kindle. already bought the second one. i think there are about half a dozen of these in the series so far. unless they get bad, i'm looking forward to ploughing my way through the whole series.
also just noticed that there's another "SODIUM" series by the same author that i might try as well. again, the first instalment is a free kindle offer so i can try it and see if i enjoy the book before buying the rest of the series.
on 5 February 2014
I enjoyed this book very much indeed and can highly recommend it to any reader who likes Science Fiction, I have a backlog of books to read at present, but I have added various other books by Stephen Arseneault to my kindle wish list, for future reference.
on 9 January 2014
This book was an excellent read. The story at first didn't interest me but before I knew it I was halfway through the book and finished it in one sitting. The book is a little short but you can't complain when the first of the series is free. I have bought the second book and even though it is the same length as the first I'm looking forward to the evolution of the storyline. A great read and recommended for anyone who enjoys light sci fi without too much technical jargon
on 2 April 2014
Fast paced with all the bits to make it an exciting read. Recommended reading for sci fi buffs ... Can't wait to read the next in the series
on 18 December 2013
I downloaded this book for Kindle a couple of weeks ago, and have just finished reading it. It is a good read, easy at all times, at no point did I think this is dragging. (I am a slow reader by the way :-))
The one suggestion I have for Stephen is to add more detail. What I mean is the story does not have a lot of detail, the bits that add interest beyond the storyline itself. Not too much so that the story gets weighed down, but more than the brief, almost functional, descriptions written here.
In saying this I know I couldn't write as well as Stephen so am envious. Keep up the good work!
on 12 October 2015
Mr Arseneault has a dry and sparse style that lets the reader fill in the blanks with their own imagination. His characters are straight forward and straight talking. A good story that is interesting and with many surprises. I would recommend his books to any sc-fi or fantasy reader.
on 30 September 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is an interesting story line in which our hero has several near death experiences along with his engineer Frig. I'm now going to settle down with the second book in the series.
on 29 August 2014
This is a great series of books. Although not the most high-brow - and probably never destined to be "classics" - they fill up the time on the daily commute. I'm currently getting through one a week and merely the fact that I am getting through the entire series must speak volumes. They're cheap as chips, spin along at a great rate and build well along the story line.