on 22 June 2013
Had these for a year now and they never fail to impress me. First thing is the comfort, in a word incredible. I can wear these for hours without any discomfort or pain and for me that is very important. I have a large head with equally large ears and i've lost count of the good sounding headphones that i've had to stop using because of the discomfort. These are brilliant in that respect.
The header for these headphones says powerful bass but in reality i find them to be very even in the bass department, certainly nothing exagerated or boomy slightly dry i would say. The mids and treble are class leading in my opinion with a wonderful airiness and detail in spades. Makes for a wonderful stereo image which i've only ever heard in £100 plus sets!
There not designed for portable use though. They need the extra drive from head amps or from the output of integrated amps.
The only criticism i can give is the fact that they leak sound pretty badly. If someone else is in the room they can hear everything exactly as in lyrics, notes etc, so not exactly private. These are solo phones only!
So in summary brilliant for the price if you only want to listen on your own!
on 7 September 2013
The Mk2 version is considerably superior to it's predecessor, has a nice flat frequency response with no resonances and no irritating bass boost. The fabric earpieces are sufficiently large for all ears and cause no perspiration.
I'd highly recommend these.
on 8 December 2012
I am a big fan of AKG, having previously used a pair of K702's, tested K701's and previously owning a pair of Q701's until they were unfortunately stolen. I wanted an entry-level pair for "kicking around" in... Something I could happily use when out & about or doing a little commuting, but something I wouldn't be devastated by if they were to break on me.

The packaging was simple but looked good and as first impressions go, I was feeling quite good about my new purchase. These headphones look good - at the price point the styling is fantastic and comfort wise I was impressed too. The adjustable headband seemed strange but it works well... It's resistant enough to ensure a snug bit and prevent them moving much, but not enough to add discomfort to the top of your head that can often result in nausea. So far, so good.

Build quality is of concern... It feels very plastic and in a bad way. The plastic 'headband arcs' feel very flimsy and have a fair bit of give in them. Holding the headphones in your hand and moving them about doesn't fill me with confidence that these will stand the test of time.

Sound quality... Brilliant. I didn't expect much for £40 but these do sound great. Sound feels very airy with a decent sound stage. There was a little too much bass for my liking (I feel the label of 'powerful bass' is a little over-exuberant... it was a bit too much for my music but I don't consider these all that bass-heavy) which was easily sorted by changing some EQ settings. I got it sounding how I wanted and was happy, but the sound bleed from these cans are ridiculous. For closed-back I was expecting some isolating properties (they are headphones so I need to be realistic, but even my Dre. Beats are amazing in comparison). At medium volume anyone within about 10 feet can hear the music as if it was coming from some low-power speakers, and it's not just a muffled sound either... you can make out the lyrics and hear every beat.

These are not good if you are anywhere near people because at any kind of volume they will hear what you hear. Don't be *that* person everyone hates because they can hear you playing Skrillex / Aqua / Spice Girls / Etc etc. If you need a cheap pair for home listening where there's nobody else around then I suppose these will be pretty good.

TL:DR mode (comparing with other headphones in price bracket)
Comfort: 7/10
Style: 8/10
Build quality: 5/10
Sound quality: 8/10
Sound isolation: 1/10 (never heard worse isolation from headphones before)

Submitting these for a refund / exchange within 24 hours of receiving them
on 7 March 2014
I bought these headphones for use at work.

As I didn't want too much sound leaking in or out I looked around for over ear, closed back headphones such as these.

Unfortunately it turned out that despite being over ear and closed back the isolation was almost non-existent.

So I think these would be great for listening to music in a quiet location, but anywhere else either you're going to be annoying everyone with your music, or not able to hear the music over the environmental noise.
on 3 February 2013
Bought these headphones for music production, i knew they wouldn't be the best as they were under £50 however they are still really good, a lot better than any speakers i have or can afford. having listened to headphones such as beats i realised that they isnt masses of difference. with them, you are paying for the name, and £300 or £160 or what ever you pay for them just aint worth it. but if you want them that go get them. however if like me you just want soem headphone that are good quality and work well and you dont have to remortgaged your house for them, then these headphones are great for you. i will definitely be sticking with them for a few more years.
on 17 January 2014
I am using these as a cheap studio headphones to check mixes along with a seinheiser hd201 . I don't use this to actually mix - i prefer using a pair of flat response studio monitors - but these headphones are great for listening and composing/midi scores and also setting up the arrangement due to the stereo width that they seem to provide which you usually only find in headphones over a 100 quid. Very nice tight bass end without going too overboard. Also use it for casual listening.
on 27 July 2014
The head strap broke after about a week of daily use, but that doesn't concern me too much.
The headphones take about a week or two to wear in, the sound crackles from the start and then the crackling goes away.
And the pads are a bit rough from the start and the headphones seem quiet, but that might be because of my motherboards integrated sound card.
TL;DR They take a while to wear in, but in the end I'm very satisfied and apart from the head strap breaking, I would say - money well spent.
on 19 September 2014
Nice and comfortable to wear for long time I use for gaming mostly but the head band bit did come unstuck very quickly, but i just put some black tape around it . so all good.
on 30 July 2016
great BUT head strap rips within weeks, I have had to staple it together, so I get scratched with it all the time
on 9 February 2014
Cable too short for me, and seriously lacking any bass. There must be better about for £40, sent back for a refund.
But they are very comfortable.

See one answered question