Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
|Print List Price:||£5.93|
Save £3.76 (63%)
ADAM: A CLOSE ENCOUNTER WITH A COSMIC VISITOR Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
|Length: 240 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
|Page Flip: Enabled|
Kindle e-ReadersKindle Fire TabletsFire Phones
Enjoy unlimited access to over 1 million titles and thousands of audiobooks on any device for £7.99 a month, including this one. Learn more
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
1. The pictures why does it need them, and I find some of the pictures destroy my minds eye view of things.
SPOILER......... the space ship pics are very unhelpful the ship in the pictures is way to small to do what the author describes its able to do.
2. The ship Takes a vast amount of people on this mission for it to carry and do all it does in the book it needs to be vast I mean super vast just the bed space on its own would be 2000m2 of space add in eating areas food storage vast recycling requirements needed to support the numbers then all the equipment for it full mission, take what we are given nearly half appears to be dead space of a outer ring that people just walk around in the images. With a few areas for living very little for anything else the images need to go and the ship needs to be much bigger.
3. The 2 people that start the book, if they are as they are described. I find it very thin that they do what they do and get included in the mission at all after that point. The same can be said for a few of the people. But that is not a deal breaker.
4. The statement at the books beginning saying the book was based on fact as much as possible didn't last for me the ship just throws it out the door.
If you can ignore all the above its a good first draft in my opinion.
Patty and Sid Wilson are a couple who fortunately share the same passion for astronomy, and they staff NASA's giant telescope in Arizona to check for new asteroids. They whimsically name the first new body they spot Adam, and the name sticks. Adam turns out to be something unexpected; it has already made it unseen to Saturn's orbit thanks to low albedo from a dark hue, and its mass is large enough to perturb the orbit of Saturn's little moon Phoebe.
Once news gets out inevitably some people consider that this body must be a spaceship, while the fact that it is going to pass closer to Earth than the Moon means devastating weather, seismic and climate change events. Scientists are keen to collaborate on finding a solution - if there is one - but politicians and generals distrust other nations and inertia looks likely to be the greatest threat.
At each new stage of the story we meet more very human characters to guide us and we get to know their hopes, sadness and loves. The author has been a physics teacher so as well as informing he knows the personal side of imparting information. While there are no young adult characters, Adam: A Close Encounter With A Cosmic Visitor could be enjoyed by bright young adults who are interested in space travel or SF. Adults would find it a good readable grounding in a fascinating topic. I hope Jack Smith will write more SF as he clearly enjoys this work and has a gift for communicating his concepts.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
The story was great, but I really didn't find the characters compelling. I would have loved to see more character development. Read morePublished 11 months ago by Amazon Customer
a bit predictable and similar to most disaster books and movies!Published 13 months ago by hugh chase
The Principle of the story is good, but Armageddon its not. No real depth to it, or strong enough character's to make it exciting enough.Published 20 months ago by MIKE MAW
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Colonisation
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Hard Science Fiction
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > High Tech
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Post-Apocalyptic
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Colonisation
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Hard Science Fiction
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Post-Apocalyptic