Style Name: Non-Corrosive|Change

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 16 January 2016
I'm not sure how important it is for me to have a fully waterproof lock on my garden shed. I have managed for a few years with a semi-waterproof Yale lock. Occasionally this got a little rusty, but a squirt or two of water-repellent oil cured that (I'll give you a tip about that later).

That lock eventually failed on the catch though, so I decided to 'splash out' on this one because it looked sturdy AND waterproof. It also has other features which I like:
- The rubber covering over the 'U' bolt fits well down into the lock and doesn't have a 'shoe-type' stop at the bottom. These stops do not help if the opening of your bolt etc. is relatively small in diameter.
- It has a good silicone waterproof cover over the key slot.
- The rest of the lock is also silicone covered.
- It has a security factor of 5 (out of a maximum of 10). 5 is OK for my garden shed.

Only time will tell how well the lock action works over years, but the lock gives me confidence that it will do well.

And here's the tip I mentioned:
I always used WD 40 as a water-repellent oil, and still do for freeing rusted nuts/bolts/etc.
But a year or so ago, a Master Locksmith of many years experience advised me to use GT85 instead for locks. Apparently GT85 attracts much less dust when dry than WD40.
I pass that on for what it is worth (it makes some sense to me).

Anyway, whether you buy or not, I hope that you find my review at least a little helpful to you in some way when making your decision.
Thanks for reading it.
on 26 November 2014
The padlock itself appears to be very well made and durable. Something you would expect from a manufacturer like Abus. The problem lies with the shackle protective sheath. As you can see from the photos this became detached therefore it is only a matter of time before water gets in and the metal rusts and seizes. This damage occurred after just 2 days use I might add! I paid £12 for this, not a great deal I know but I expected better from Abus. One final note - I wrote to Abus to explain their failings and have heard nothing in reply. They obviously have bigger fish to fry.
review image review image
This non-corrosive padlock has been in permanent outdoor use for several very wet months now, and it seems no different now to the day it arrived. Its predecessor (a cheaper one from a different manufacturer) DID corrode and became extremely difficult to lock and unlock, but this one seems immune to the elements. It doesn't require significant force or strength to open or close, so it's child-friendly too. Comes with two keys. Solid, durable, well-made and recommended.
on 19 September 2011
Bought this for my parents' house. A little more expensive but definitely well worth it. The normal lock we used to use for the shed keep rusting away from exposure to the atmosphere and becoming ever increasingly difficult to open so this is the ideal replacement. 6 months on this does not even show a bit of rust so it is well protected and will last for many years to come. Would definitely recommend this.
on 9 November 2014
I bought 2 of these to secure our garden shed having previously bought half a dozen locks including a £20 lock that did not meet expectations and ended up being thrown.

It is an average sized medium lock that comes with a spare key. The lock looks quite modern and simplistic however has a very impressive performance compared to all the others that I have owned. Its very strong, relatively lightweight and does not get affected by adverse weather such as rain and frost. All my other locks ended up ceasing during the winter months and I only wish that I had bought this product first.

I have now owned the locks for approx 2 years and have not had any issues with them.
I bought this padlock 12 months ago to secure a gate in our garden after my previous supposedly rust-proof padlock ended up showing signs of rust within 6 months and then after just over a year began to seize and needed replacing.

A year later I'm happy to say that this padlock is well and truly standing the test of time; there are absolutely no signs of rust or wear and the lock is still as easy to open and close as it was the day I bought it.

Very happy with this lock, it feels very well made, has a real solid feel to it and genuinely is weather proof!
on 28 May 2012
Looks quite robust. Places where water can enter into the padlock are well plugged in, so I'd say it is quite well water tight and I wouldn't expect it to rust any time soon.
Its not the biggest padlock around but for what it is, I believe its quite safe.
highly recommended.
I was looking for something to secure a Garage door, the previous lock had failed after a couple of years of typical British weather. It just wouldn't lock any more.

This is a quality item, heavy and protected by plastic in all the right places, so far it's only been installed for a few weeks so I'll just have to wait a few years to really be able to gauge the long term reliability.

It looks promising so far.

**Still working well after a very wet Winter 1 year on**
on 26 October 2015
Good construction quality. Looks likely to be reasonably weatherproof but I always spray WD40 in all my outside locks, regardless of claims. One word of "caution". These look solid but as the description says they are medium security devices. I locked my key inside my boat and a colleague with a big spanner and 2lb hammer easily broke the lock with a single blow. As it was an important use I decided to change and get a higher security lock. Be aware of the limitations and claims
on 28 October 2015
The lock is well made and should last for many years.
The only design fault is the cap on the underside protecting the key hole.
The lock lets in water through the top and passes through to the bottom only to collect in the key cap.
I have found the lock hole frozen solid many times in the winter due to water pooling and freezing the key protection cap due to this problem.
The only solution is to leave the key flap open which prevents this happening.