* A B Syed was born in Karachi and grew up in Birmingham during the seventies. Her love of science grew into a career as a research scientist, but her love of reading never left her and has flourished into a writing career.
* The books of Joan Aiken, Ursula le Guin, Isaac Asimov, Arthur C Clarke and Douglas Adams amongst others provided a much needed form of escape during what was a time of great change in the UK and the sprinkle of fantasy which was a running theme of all of these authors was an immensely attractive proposition.
* There is a clear, rich seam of fantasy running through all of her books.
* "I can't help it, I start off setting a book in a school, or a normal building, but soon, monsters or dragons or impossible machines appear."
* A B Syed is the author of four books and spends her days dreaming of writing and has contributed to many websites and even an anthology. She lives in Oxford with her children, a cat called Fluffy, a goldfish and a paranoid hamster called Pikachu.