on 7 March 2016
I initially rated this 3 stars, but having just read a couple of other travel-pilgrimage type books, this deserves an extra star...

Funny, well formed likeable 'characters', places so well described, self deprecating humour, pain/hunger/tiredness you can really sympathise with.

It loses a star because some of the tangents he goes off on aren't as interesting. Plus, there's some pretty sexist and unnecessarily cruel descriptions of the females he meets.
on 15 May 2017
Bill Bryson is one of the funniest writers in the world. His cranky, realistic yet very lovable style lends itself to a trip through the wilderness perfectly. It's inspired me to pick up my hiking boots and go for a short hike soon.
on 23 June 2017
This isn't my Favourite Bryson book, as a brit i have enjoyed his takes on the UK a little bit more, but i enjoy hiking and have longed to walk the Appalachian trail, so i really enjoyed this aspect of the story.
on 20 July 2017
If you can read only 10 pages and not laugh out loud, you have no sense of humour! As usual great comedic adventure but with interesting facts slotted between.
on 16 February 2016
Bill Bryson at his very best ,,,, I laughed out as I tried to read this book , some parts I had to re read as I was laughing so much ,Bill gives us a good idea of what it's like to undertake such a mammoth walk . This is a book I will read again
on 6 May 2017
Worth every penny, very descriptive, funny and well written.... love his books... brings things to life.. brilliant writer.... loving this book...
on 12 May 2017
Brilliant-- fast delivery, I couldn't put the book down.
on 26 July 2017
I've read and reread it about 4 times, so it seems likely that I'm a fan. Bryson is a talented wordsmith, with a turn of phrase ideal for both entertaining and teaching. Every time I've finished this one my interest in getting out there and at least hiking my local hills is reinvigorated.
on 1 May 2017