Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.99

on 21 July 2017
This again is Frank in his younger years I like to buy cassettes as they are easy to carry if I want to listen to them out in the garden or when I take my little dog out, this cassette tape has lots of varied songs on it
on 6 March 2017
The best CD version bar none. The music needs no review surely
on 18 July 2010
1957's "A Swingin affair" is very much the sequel to the previous years "Songs for swingin lovers" Again with Nelson Riddle on arrangements Sinatra again assembled 15 songs of swingin numbers laced with classic Sinatra vocals. This album almost drops a star for me only because track to track comparisons with the aforementioned "Swingin lovers" have that album come out on top in terms of the material but it's still a fantastic album and one of sinatra's best albums still. That's not to say because it's not as good as SFSL this is any less worthy an album for your collection because it isn't, but this is a slight notch below but only just. We have the classic Riddle arrangement of "Night and Day" to kick off the album,one of Sinatra's most famous songs and the amazing "I Wish I Were In Love Again" is one of my favourite songs of all time from Frank and should have been performed by him more. "A Swingin affair" would definitely rate in my top 5 Sinatra albums of all time along with "Songs for swingin lovers" and several others.

If your new to Sinatra and want to get just a few classic albums for your collection then i'd certainly recommend this be one of them as it shows him and Nelson Riddle very much at the top of their game.

Highly recommended
on 17 March 2013
are extremely "angry" because an expedition so disgusting I have ever seen to send a vinyl!
I found a simple cardboard light light to such an extent that all four corners were completely folded and since I often get the vinyl from abroad that I could have done much much better.
while the vinyl musically okay!
on 4 December 2010
I differ from most Sinatra fans by believing that this album is even better than the legendary Swinging Lovers. On this album Sinara's voice has matured to the level of perfection that he held for a dozen or so years. His popularity both as a singer and actor has given him that aura of " ring a ding ding" confidence which give the song performances the credibility of life 's experience. The program of songs flows with perfection . His interpretation on " I wish I were in Love again" and "Stars fell On Alabama" are lothario personified. I would guess that most Sinatra fans have both albums ,but for those unfamiliar with both this and Swinging Lovers,they should buy both poste haste and give Robbie Williams plagaristic Swing while... and even Michael Buble albums to Oxfam and listen to the master crafstman.
"A Swingin' Affiar" is one of the albums Frank Sinatra released in 1957 in what was arguably the greatest year a single artist had for turning out albums. This was the fifth of six albums Sinatra put out that year, predated by two other classic records, "Come Fly With Me" and "Where Are You." However, "A Swingin' Affair!" will most remind Sinatra fans of his 1955 album "Songs for Swingin' Lovers!," since it follows the same formula in providing up-tempo, swing material arranged by the great Nelson Riddle. However, this time around Riddle employs more brass giving the songs more of a hard jazz edge. The featured composers are Cole Porter, who has the opening track "Night and Day" and three others including "You'd Be So Nice to Come Home To." You will also hear songs by Gerswhin and Duke Ellington. As a bonus track we also get a version of "The Lady is a Tramp," which makes for a nice finale. I would not put "A Swingin' Affair!" on my list of Ten Essential Sinatra Albums, but it would definitely be on the next ten I would list.
on 24 July 2014
Once in a while something happens that makes you smile, a contentment settles across your face and you realise that it is Frank. No matter how I try I cannot escape the fact that this guy produced a sound like no other. This sacd which is recorded in MONO produces some of the best sound I have heard in years. One or two of the tracks sound slightly different to the others but nevertheless are outstanding by any standard. 1957 recordings they may be but 2014 technology has made them sound just too marvellous for words. I paid the money, received the cd in forty eight hours and played it immediately. Finished and content that money was well spent. I feel like filling the page with all the adjectives i can muster, but you have seen it all before. So just buy it, settle down and know its just brilliant. By the way on headphones it just blows your mind really it does!
33 Comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 July 2011
The 'Nelson Riddle' era of Sinatra swing and jazz-balladering is my favourite period in the singer's career. I tend to pass on his earlier and later material for a variety of reasons, but the 'fit' between Sinatra and Riddle is uncanny and if you've already got 'Songs for Swingin' Lovers' (which I've had for years) this album is just as good. We are treated to Sinatra's interpretations of a variety of composers and authors, including the Gershwins/DuBose Heyward (I Got Plenty o'Nuttin'' from 'Porgy and Bess'), Rodgers and Hart, and of course Cole Porter, who provides the splendid 'Night and Day' which the producer had the foresight to put right at the beginning of the album where it's a real grabber. A must for fans - and recommended if you are just interested. A propos of which, there are good sleeve notes. It won't break the bank, either.
on 16 February 2001
This follow-up album to "Songs for Swingin' Lovers" is every bit as good. The opening cut of "Night and Day" has become a classic, but each and every track is arranged- by Nelson Riddle- and sung perfectly. "Affair" differs from "Lovers" mainly in that, although the songs are linked stylistcally, they are not connected thematically, which does rob the album of some focus. However, no Sinatra fan's collection is complete without this set.
on 19 April 2001
If you are just starting to build up a Sinatra collection start with this CD and "Songs for Swingin Lovers". They are both superb and epitomize the "swinging" sound that Frank Sinatra and Nelson Riddle developed at Capital in the 50s. Every track is a classic - it should be in every record collection. Forget "My Way" this is Sinatra at his peak.