on 7 September 2011
It took me a day and a half to read this book, in between jobs from Heathrow. An often used phrase "I couldn't put it down" really was so true this time. Tears and laughter flowed from the book and I spent a lot of time with moist eyes at the description of his relationships. The final chapter was as stunning a read that I have ever read.
A remarkable man....a remarkable actor. I have promised myself that I will make an effort to catch all the films that I missed of his, after reading what was put into them by him and the rest of the casts.
Do not miss reading this book
22 Comments| 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 March 2014
Never listen to a talking book before, excellent for in the car. I'm listening a second time, the narrator is so good and the story keeps you interest until the end.
on 11 December 2014
Ok but a bit disappointing
on 3 August 2011
This book reflects the circumstances it was dictated in, with more time it could have been better edited. Despite this Pete's commitment to live theatre and his pursuit of personal artistic goals and excellence even if there was a financial cost is conveyed well. This is an example to us all, go where the vision is not the material success. Pete finished an address to a school audience with these words 'Most of you will not want to become actors - but whatever you do in your future life do it with PASSION and COMPASSION'. His passion for acting, for his family, for his local community, for the environment and for life shine through this book. It is difficult to imagine we will never see him on the stage again, this book reminds us of what we are missing.
on 1 July 2011
Just finished reading this book, it is a memorable and touching work, a fitting tribute to one of our greatest acting talents, who is sadly no longer with us.

I am proud to say that I was born and brought up in the same northern town as Pete - he never forgot his northern roots, which helped mould him into the wonderful actor he was.
on 26 June 2011
there could have been no greater testimony.
the previously-untold story of our greatest actor, in candid, poignant humourous and fearless prose.
a scintillating read
on 20 July 2011
this book comes as a testament to an underated star of stage and screen.its an honest account of Petes life and the fact that it came out so soon after his passing makes it a poignant read.pulls no punches with the dialogue,he tells his story like it is,a great read and easy to pick up.
on 9 August 2011
As a near neighbour of Pete i can attest to the loss we are all feeling since his sad demise.This book is a great insight to a wonderful man and a very good actor.
on 12 March 2012
Loved this - honest no holds barred chat about his life. There are 3 threads to this - Pete himself, acting and theatre and Liverpool. A great read - very sad to hear his last days - great man sadly missed.
on 28 April 2013
A very entertaining autobiography from an interesting, decent, norther chap with steadfast integrity and principles. He stook to his guns and didn't chase the money. A great read. RIP Pete Postlethwaite.