Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 February 2001
An 18th century Christian classic by John Bunyan, born 1628, who was a poor tinker and later a soldier with Cromwell's Parliamentarian army. He married a poor girl whose dowry was two books, 'The Plain Man's Guide to Pathway to Heaven' and 'Practice of Piety'. Reading these books transformed Bunyan's life and he became a lay preacher at a time when it was illegal for the laity to preach in Britain. Whilst in prison for the second time he wrote 'Pilgrim's Progress'.
This version, abridged by Geraldine McCaughrean, won the first Blue Peter overall Book of the Year award (December 2000). It is a highly enjoyable retelling of the story, with some simplifications in language for the younger reader. Some of the names are altered, for example, the most lugubrious 'Slough of Despond' is called 'The Great Bog Misery' - which is good, if not quite the same. And one word, which might be outside the scope of the average young person - 'donjon', the central tower or keep of a castle - sent me to the dictionary, but overall the effect is marvellous. The book is richly illustrated with very good colour and black and white illustrations by Jason Cockcroft. An ideal gift and a great introduction to the full work.
on 12 June 2001
This book will grab the attention of any inquisitive child or grown up. The well-known story is re-told so that any child can understand and relate to it and the vivid pictures bring the whole epic to life. As was Bunyan's intention, all of life's battles are encapsulated within the story and the lessons spelt out clearly. The story unravels the mysteries surrounding God, the crucifiction, the resurrection and heaven so that a child can understand it. It will also help any adult looking into Christianity to deepen their understanding in a clear and enjoyable way. This book is a must for any God parents to give to their God children from 7 upwards.
on 20 March 2010
Great book, but be careful I thought this was the one with the fabulous illustrations... IT IS NOT.... its a much SMALLER black and white book that disappointed me because I have the original sized one with the colours.
on 22 August 2013
I did try to read the original years ago but it was too much like hard work and I gave up. Give me the children's one and I can understand it! I know names have been changed and things left out but all in all for people who find the original difficult this is a good solution.
on 4 August 2012
A Pilgrim's Progress is a wonderful classic, and to be able to find this simplified version for children is very special. Once they have grasped the amazing analogous story, they will then be able to upgrade to the full version. Meanwhile this is a lovely book for reading to our children - perhaps a chapter before bed. Or if they are young readers they will be encouraged by the friendly layout with the little black and white illustrations throughout.
on 19 August 2012
I came across this book by accident: drawn to it by its beautiful illustrations, and then as I read it aloud to my grandson, gripped by the re-telling of the story.
Geraldine McCaughrean has found a marvellous way to tell the story without reducing the original to anything less than it was: she is a genius to tell, like a born storyteller, this most engrossing story.
My grandson was 7 when we first read it, but the age-range is wider: and older children reading to themselves, would revel in the story and its lively illustrations. Over-tens would see more deeply into the story...
As ever, Bunyan showed us the pitfalls that await, the glories that beckon, and the very human inability not to be tempted 'off-track' which we all share.
A Pilgrim's Progress (Classic Stories)
on 31 October 2013
John Bunyan was inspired to write his Pilgrim's Progress about Christian & his journey to the Golden City.

This book 'refreshes' the story which is still relevant & vital today, drawing attention to the wiles of the evil one.

Good for children of 12 upwards.
on 8 September 2011
A Pilgrim's Progress (Classic Stories)]. Brilliant book & very effective. My 9 year old son started the 'original' book but we faltered and stopped - just too difficult. Then a friend suggested this one. Success! He loved it!
on 20 September 2010
Both my 10 year old son and I enjoyed this book. When I asked him questions to see if he understood the meanings behind the book he showed suprising insight.
on 11 February 2009
Synopsis:

'I had a dream last night... large enough to fill the rest of my life.' This retelling of John Bunyan's classic story is filled with drama, excitement and adventure. On his journey of a life-time to the City of Gold, Christian meets an extraordinary cast of characters, such as the terrible Giant Despair and the monster Apollyon. Together with Hopeful, his steadfast companion, he survives the snipers and mantraps, the Great Bog, Vanity Fair, Lucre Hill and Castle Doubting. But will he find the courage to cross the final river to the City of Gold and his salvation?

I struggled with this book. Several times I considered stopping. I found it boring. I was not engaged with the story and no character stood out to me.

The story is split into two parts. The first follows Christian on his pilgrimage, and the second part follows his wife Christina on her pilgrimage. I found the second half of the book very similar to the first part as she is going along the same route as that which Christian walked. They met all sorts of people - very cleverly named, such as Hopeful, Faithful, Talkative etc. and some which attempted to prevent the pilgrims and some which enabled their mission. They face all sorts of struggles in their bid to get to the river. Giants and hobgoblins needed to be fought.

The book contains the Gospel story and is full of Bible verses. If you don't like "being preached too" through books, this is not for you.

I just didn't enjoy this book.

4/10