Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£9.49

on 29 December 2012
This edition contains 2 books: "The Making Of Modern Britain", covering the period from 1900 to 1945, & "A History Of Modern Britain", being from 1945 onwards.

You would expect "The Making Of Modern Britain" to be the first book here, not so. On my Kindle it appears second, 59% of the way through, location 12,930 of 22,051. I only found it by trial and error. The contents page at the front is only for "A History Of Modern Britain".

I would have expected both books to be in chronological order and, at the very least, content pages for both books to be at the front.

4 stars for the content, a reluctant 1 star for the way this edition has been put together.
66 Comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 December 2012
If you're looking for a pacey review through the last 100-ish years of British history then this hits the spot. There's enough information to ensure people & events are successfully explained without getting bogged down by the detail of the research. Marr's writing style is good, the balance of events is about right, his analysis sound and the commentary, whilst containing opinions, is never too opinionated. Recommended.
on 5 August 2013
I was delighted and surprised by how much I enjoyed this book.
I have long admired Andrew Marr on Television and in newsprint, his wicked humour and incisive character outlines of well loved and mostly forgotten figures are worth the price alone.
This book should be required reading for all modern British history students and a must read for those that have lived through these times.
on 8 May 2014
Punchy and witty, beautifully written, no errors in spelling or grammar, concise despite its length, I would say that this sums up the later part of the 20th C really well. Maybe it is less good on the first half but for those that need to know more there are many other sources, plenty of which are in the immaculate bibliography at the end of this book.
on 10 April 2014
Good book to read if you are interested in history.Has a lot of information and is told in a factual way, rather than a bias one. The only thing I did find a bit strange was reading from 1945 onwards for the first part and the second part consists of Britain from 1900-1945 for the second part
on 22 January 2013
Good to look back in detail at recent history. A reminder and gap filler of past memories and pulling together of associated events and government strategy and response to world events. The book demonstrates the changing political class and the great fallibility of those the electorate choose to govern. Andrew Marr shows that with low voter turn out at elections, any result is possible and the consequences very different to an election manifesto! The "Blair Years" have really put a nail in the coffin of politics. Perhaps we knew we were being misled but not to what extent and how selfishly badly.
Peter Masting.
on 13 January 2013
this book consists of 2 large books of at least 500 pages each.It is well written and not at all dry and boring as some historians can be.T his is a history of the UK for the man in the street who has perhaps like me tried to read other history books but finds them hard going.I war born in 1949 in Aberdeen an although I have travelled around the world in my job I have found this a great book. I know that a lot of people think we are as a nation are in a bad state at the moment in the UK but if you look back in these books life is not too bad today for a lot of us.
on 13 January 2013
Its just like Andrew Marr and rushes through everything in an interesting way and you dont realise that you are actually learning.
Took it on my cruise = kindle form= and thought I would read it while reading something lighter but I havent put it down for 2 weeks and Im still only on 22%!
Realised that whern I took it to various appointments that I dont think I would have been able to cope with it in book form especially hard back so Kindle is good. Hope he gets well to produce more exciting history.
on 7 March 2013
For anyone interested in reading about the 20th Century as history, Marr's knowledge and wit make this book a lively and informative read. Behind the scenes facts and the perspective provided by the passing of time make this a fascinating read for anyone who lived through some of these events and can remember how they were reported at the time and the significance they seemed to hold then and now.
on 14 January 2013
If you enjoy learning about modern history I would recommend this book. It gives an interesting backdrop to how our nation has changed since the war and the people that have brought about those changes. I am really enjoying reading this book and find it hard to put down!