on 28 March 2009
Widders' account of his time in the Navy, Army and RAF is a well written and fascinating description of a life dedicated to military service. It succeeds in being honest, at times poignant and often very funny and should appeal to anyone who has served in the armed forces. It's appeal however is not limited to those with a military background and, as a complete layman, I found it very readable and it held my interest throughout. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
on 8 May 2009
I could never get into what Kipling meant with his poem 'If' until I read Widders' book. It's an amazing biography of a one man's life that normally takes four (men) to do (army, navy, air force) and achieve (adventures in the Sahara, running a marathon, going up the Everest,-and going for more in the future).
The author's honesty, the challenges that he tamed, the adventures that he went through, and all the time that he never let to be wasted makes this book hard to put down. I only wish that the author was a lot older so there'd've been more to read, and I'm sure that he'll do more, and I'll looking forward.
Well done indeed.