on 22 April 2013
This is an unusual, surreal and overwhelmingly funny book! It revolves around Eberhardt Walker, semi-successful writer and part time vigilante, Irene Sonntag, the 92 year old lady from the title and a cast of famous literary characters. The story weaves skillfully between reality and fiction, but never leaves you wondering 'what is going on'. The author pulls you into the story and keeps you engaged from the first page to the last. If I had to sum up the book in a single sentence it would be; 'A story of intrigue, adventure and packed from cover to cover with genuine laugh-out-loud moments.' I really enjoyed it.
on 11 August 2013
With the myriad of book and ebooks now available, it's now so rare and refreshing to find an author with a story that is truly original.
Not for the first time, Fred Schafer has achieved this accolade, this time with 'The 92-Year-Old Lady Who Made Me Steal a Dead Man's Car.'
Even if the title doesn't set you up for it, from the opening words you know you're in for a treat. The book is entertaining, amusing and most surreal. A mystery yes, but also a fantasy, enshrining elements of philosophy, literature and crime while providing the author's lateral vision on a host of literary characters. I highly recommend this book.
on 12 September 2013
Tighter editing would have gained this the full 5stars.
A novel premise, very cleverly written. This was a thoroughly good read, even though I did not know many of the characters. I would love to know what Jack Reacher wanted to have changed.
The detail regarding the computer hacking was very believable and I did not see the revelation at the end. So enjoyed this that I am wary of reading any more of Mr Schafer's books in case they don't live up to this one.
Thank you, sir, for a riveting, entertaining read which I finished in one sitting.
on 26 May 2014
The main plot of this story is a new take on a theme already extensively covered by Jasper Fforde in the Thursday Next series, namely the idea of a parallel "literary universe" in which characters from novels exist in person. Unlike Fforde's stories, in which a physical character moves between the two worlds, Mr. Schaefer has his literary characters turning up in the "real" world with the explicit aim of getting parts of their stories re-written. It's a great story in itself but, for reasons that aren't immediately obvious, we are also treated to a sub-plot around the central (real) character's past time as a vigilante which, in my opinion, adds little more than padding and distraction from the main plot. There is also a lengthy passage of philosophical debate which is perhaps more understandable given some of Mr. Schaefer's other works. All in all an enjoyable, humorous and easy read but just as enjoyable, if not more so, without the sub-plot.
on 24 April 2013
As an 83-year-old senior citizen with a passion for reading new and imaginative books, how could I pass up the opportunity to read something entitled "The 92-year-Old Lady Who Made Me Steal a Dead Man's Car!" I was hooked the moment the literary characters made an appearance. No wait, who am I kidding...I was hooked the moment the main character, writer and vigilante, stepped behind the wheel of the car of a dead man after being instructed to do so by a 92-year-old- lady. Yeah, it doesn't get any stranger than that - and I loved every bit of it! Highly recommend.
on 21 September 2014
Strange strange strange! As I read this book it seemed to become rather ludicrous and maybe even stupid, but I couldn't put it down, and read it all the way through without stopping - whether just curiosity or not I don't know. I am asking myself, 'if I had known in advance exactly how it would read would I have bought it?' Crazily I don't know the answer! Equally I'm glad I actually read it. Buy it and decide for yourselves!
on 1 November 2013
clever little book - bought after good reviews and while I'm not sure it's as great as some said it keeps you interested throughout to see what's going to happen next - the title reminded me a bit of the "100 year old man that climbed...." but it's nowhere near as funny, but still worth a read. Enjoyed it.
on 10 December 2013
Loved this book. Seriously funny from start to finish but with thought provoking ideas and dealing with serious crime. You cannot fail to read this quirky work without having a smile on your face or without thinking; imagine if that happened.
on 5 February 2016
Self-published, and would have benefitted quite a lot from having a professional editor work on it before publication. It started very well and was quite entertaining, but trailed and fizzled a bit as it went on, and the ending was disappointing.
on 17 April 2014
What a fantastic book. The title made it a must-read and, as they say, "it did what it said on the tin". A true original, this was a great read. The plot was unusual and makes you wonder if the world we (think) we live in is real or not. Did not see the twist in the tale coming. An excellent book that I would heartily recommend to all.