Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.99

on 23 February 2013
Really enjoyable zombie book. Really likable characters, good level of action and some nice new ideas. Really left me wanting more and I hope the author writes more as I am already missing the two main characters.
on 16 April 2013
Having an interest in pretty much all Zombie related books, I borrowed this using Amazon Prime borrowing service and have to say it was well worth the read. In depth, good ending and certainly would have been worth the money had I spent the tiny £1.53! Good length and a book I just wanted to keep reading on until I reached the end......is there going to be another in this series? I hope so!
on 25 May 2013
Brilliant book. Was hooked from the first Page. Shock ending, can't wait for the sequel. Having withdrawal symptoms already. Please hurry need more,
on 9 June 2013
This story won me over at the very beginning: instead of a long set-up, or several pages without any undead action, Davis gets down to business right away. The main character, John, is attending a meeting in New York when a viral outbreak occurs. Of course, no one believes it - until everything falls apart outside of their office building. Even then, the survivors don't realize just how bad the situation is, until the infected find a way in. The storyline follows John's attempt to get back to his wife, and doesn't try to explain anything about the undead or the source of the infection, which I found to be a more realistic view of a global epidemic.

I really liked the characters John and Kyle. It's been a long time since I actually cared what happened to the people in a zombie story. One reason is that I appreciated the dry humor that appeared from time to time...I know I shouldn't laugh when someone is getting their finger cut off, but the victim's reaction to his captor made me laugh out loud. I also laughed at the way the characters would view their situation - nothing like sarcasm to get a person through a crisis with his sanity still intact.

I thought the story was pretty original (something that is getting more difficult to accomplish with the ever-expanding zombie genre), but one of the major fight scenes seemed too much like something I have seen on the Spartacus series. The similarities kind of ruined the momentum for me, as well as the abrupt ending soon after. If not for the last few chapters of the story, I would have given 900 Miles five-stars because I can't remember the last time I was that amused by a zombie story. Davis definitely knows how to entertain the zombiephiles.

P.S. I received a review copy, as in NOT a final draft copy, so I am hoping all the typos were taken care of because I hate seeing "hoard" instead of "horde" in a zombie story.
on 14 August 2013
I found this novel frustrating. The plot is formulaic. The long journey to find loves ones, set piece battles, bad guys, scavenging - are the elements of many other zombie novels. I just felt like I had read this before.
There were some holes in the plot that did not make sense to me at all but if I describe them it will give the story away. I will just say that I can't see the timeline of the story working at all.
On the plus side - there are many swipes at corporate greed and our focus on the mundane aspects of our lives. These sections are good as the break away from the otherwise generic zombie survival themes.
on 10 March 2013
I enjoy zombie novels and bought this book for my kindle based on the other reviews. I really enjoyed the story, I dont think it was as well written as other novels but the storyline was very good and I liked the characters. A very good read!
on 23 May 2013
I saw this in my recommendations and kept passing it by...then I took the chance and bought it - this is a brilliant read and if I had known, then I would have bought it as soon as it came out. The characters are well rounded and actually have flaws and faults. I can't wait for another book coming from this author...and this time, I will be buying it straight away. Take the chance!
on 14 March 2013
Enjoyed this Zombie tale, nicely paced with likeable main characters I Will certainly look out for more books by this author.
on 1 April 2013
Good but quick read. Good moments and story flows well. Characters are way to relate to and have a back story.
on 21 May 2013
I read this book and I enjoyed it, in fact I was disappointed when I'd finished it as I had read it so quickly but this is because of the pace of the writing. The characters were good and the reader gets to know them as their story progresses so it feels like you are travelling with them on their 900 mile journey. There were some unexpected twists and turns and some familiar elements, a zombie is a zombie is a zombie but I like reading about zombies. I am looking forward to the sequel and the letter at the end gives you a very small indication to the future for the characters. The book definitely got my attention, thank you.

Ruby Lord.