on 1 February 2006
At the beginning of all the Harmony Guides there is a very good and clear introductory page with all the techniques you need to know to create any of these stitch patterns. Whether or not you are a beginner or an accomplished knitter.
There are plenty of sitch patterns to choose from, edgings, lace, lace panels, cables, rib, knit and purl.
The photographs for each stitch pattern are in colour and very clear. There are only written instructions no charts, but you can easily convert the patterns into charts if you wish using graph paper as I have done recently.
These guides are wonderful just to browse through and to knit swatches to see how they would look on a garment. I have knitted swatches and so far there have not been any errors in the instructions.
As these guides are the only stitch pattern books I have purchased, I cannot compare them to any others but find them good value for money and an asset to my library.
There are no garments to knit except ones from The Harmony Guides Aran and Fair Isle Knitting book, so I would suggest purchasing The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns and the Knitter's handy book of Sweater Patterns by Ann Budd to compliment these guides.
Happy Knitting
on 4 April 2008
Very good; it is well laid out, has a brief overview / reminder of the basics, clear coloured pictures to show you what the pattern looks like and good instructions how to do it. It mainly concentrates on cable and lace patterns though it also has knit and purl patterns, rib patterns and patterns for texture and colour as well as a few edging patterns. My main quibble is that the instructions don't always contain quite enough information, e.g. on the `reversible stocking stitch' it doesn't tell you how you get into the position of having two colours on your needles, i.e. do you cast on the colours alternately (if so, how), or do you cast on all of one colour and then all of the other? Volume 1 gives a better indication (though isn't very clear when it comes to two colours) - the picture (for both volumes) indicates that you cast on in one colour only. 8/10
on 11 February 2009
I think this is an invaluable book to have if you are interested in creative knitting i.e. making up your own patterns. My favourite section is at the very back- 'border' stitches. You can knit these to either make really interesting borders for garments or to make scarces. I highly reccomend the harmony guides.
on 19 July 2011
I love this book although I don't use it all that often as most knitting patterns tell you what to do anyway.

The only time I would use it is if I am embellishing an item by giving it a fancy edging or if the edging given in the pattern isn't to my taste I can substitute it for one that is. This book could also be used to make many items such as blankets, cushion covers, cloths etc. A really useful book but you have to be a bit creative.
on 23 March 2010
I got this book as i was learning to knit and got tired of knitting the same old stocking stitch.

I got this book and there is soo much to choose from. the explanations are clear and easy to follow and is a great companion when wanting to create unique styles in knitting.
on 12 January 2014
Strongly recommend this book to anyone who love knitting, this book have a wide choice of knitting stitches patterns, very pretty.
on 22 January 2013
Fantastic book - meets my expectations by far - very excited about it - recommended to anyone who love craf
on 10 August 2015