on 8 June 2017
I saw this movie on the TV a while ago and realised that it's one of those that nowadays has immense charm and naivete. The acting is kinda wooden, but appealing all the same. The bad guys are not that bad. The dancers would never pass an audition for Janet Jackson, but all the same you just identify with them and if the final show will be a disaster. But in fact the final show is brilliant. The so-called on-stage 'sets' get slowly larger than life and include cars, two-storey buildings and a horse. The kaleidescope stage routine is charming (48 girls all on a turntable) and the other finale set pieces are very original. It's not modern and slick but it's well worth watching.
3 people found this helpful
on 31 May 2015
The most important fact for European Customers is this American Blu-ray is Region Free. The plot is well known and basically its about the traumas of putting on a Broadway Show and the Show. The restored picture and sound are unbelievably good for an eighty year old film, it looks and sound more like a modern film mimicking a thirties musical, I suppose you could say it is similar to 'The Artist' ! The extras are very good and in particular the ability to choose a song from the show is very useful. Its up there with the very best of the restorations of Hollywood Classics, lets home WB will do the same for the other Busby Berkley Films. Incidentally my copy from Movie Mars took a week to arrive from the US. Only had it a few days and I have watched it twice!
5 people found this helpful
on 30 April 2018
Only Ginger Rogers from this excellent cast is widely remembered today, but Dick Powell, Ruby Keeler & Bebe Daniels were big stars 80 years ago, & you can see why in this very enjoyable film, the Grand-Daddy of all those backstage, "chorus-girl gets her big break" movies......or did "Show Boat" get there first? It has chirpy, brittle humour, is not particularly sentimental...in fact its attitude to women is unacceptable by 2018 showbiz standards, eh Mr HW?
Other reviewers here have said almost everything I planned to say, so I'll just make three observations:-
1) the restoration for this DVD is superb
2) while I often object to comments of the "Pity it's in black-&-white!" sort, for once I agree. The Finale, with its iconic Busby Berkeley staging & visually stunning effects, really would have benefited from being in colour
3) I was surprised how little song & dance there is. Apart from "You're Getting to Be a Habit With Me" & the rehearsal snatches, there's nothing but business & dialogue until the last 20 minutes. Is the stage show the same?
There are featurettes on the disc but I never watch those.
on 8 May 2017
This DVD arrived very quickly. It plays perfectly and is excellent value ...so full marks to the seller (DMC Shop 5000) and I would certainly use them again. 42nd Street is a classic with some incredible Busby Berkley routines and music. How he managed to make these spectacular dance sets with the very limited technology that they had available in 1933, beggars belief. This version is great value and it plays perfectly when English is selected. I thoroughly enjoyed it and hope you do too.
2 people found this helpful
on 7 March 2017
Great product, swiftly delivered. All titles are in Spanish, but it's very easy to select English language from the menu page of the disc. The print has undergone a digital restoration and is in tip-top shape :)
4 people found this helpful
on 3 August 2016
This is one of the all time classic musicals.It remains as fresh today as when it was first shown.The musical numbers are spectacular,and this despite Ruby Keelers dancing.The script is very witty,the actors perfectly cast and it really hasn't aged a bit.The fact that it spawned a very successful stage show is evidence of that.I would rate it in the list of the top ten musicals of all time
on 12 September 2014
Wonderfully restored with a clear, detailed picture & good sound; a little thin at times, but Hey! this is 1933!
I enjoyed Bebe Daniels and Ginger Rogers.
Much to praise in this forerunner of 'A Chorus Line'. Some great filming and photography. The choreography leaves much to be desired, though it is performed with wild enthusiasm! and the acting is patchy - Ruby Keeler's especially so, as the chorus girl making it as a Broadway STAR!.
Well worth re-watching even if it isn't a true Busby Berkley extravaganza!
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 22 January 2013
I'm afraid I address myself - years of neglecting the form (or pseudishly going for 'The Umbrellas of Cherbourg and that's it - oh and Oklahoma) and finally having been persuaded by various books that I oughta try Busby Berkeley, I submitted. This is fantastic - almost Preston Sturges with songs. And the brilliant way it builds to the stunning finale when you are just ready for the three witty, saucy, tuneful, thrilling Berkeley numbers. Brilliant and engaging throughout. Great performance from Warner Baxter as 1930s Bob Fosse and charming guileless Ruby Keeler perfectly cast. Funny support throughout. For me a joyful revelation. Sorry it took me so long - still, a whole new world to explore.
on 11 September 2017
Having just seen the London stage show I wanted to see the original film once again. Whilst interesting as an historical "document" it mainly serves to underline the true magnificence of the current stage version. If you have not seen that then you are missing an experience of a lifetime.
on 26 May 2011
Having received the DVD yesterday (25 May 2011), I watched it the same night - somewhat unusual for me. I was amazed at the picture quality for a film classified as made in 1933. It is simply superb and I can only think that it must look every bit as good on this DVD as it did way back when first viewed in cinemas in the 1930s. The film itself has very little in the way of a storyline, and not many songs by my reckoning, but I'm a sucker for old films. The songs were well performed and the girls quite sweet. It has to be 5 stars !
5 people found this helpful