on 17 August 2013
Firstly, this did stop the pain I was experiencing in my wrist and index finger! I work at a computer 9-5.30 and now use this all day.

It does take some getting used to. When I first started using it, I found it very hard to click where I wanted. I had to put the mouse sensitivity a lot lower than my previous mouse. After a few weeks use I would say I was almost as accurate as a regular mouse (though I imagine you would struggle to play a FPS game well).

I find the thumb buttons difficult to click and my thumb joint closest to my palm starts to ache after a while. What I found most annoying is that the easiest button to click (the large side button you can press with any finger) is assigned to middle click and 3M don't appear to offer any way to remap it to primary click. I got around this problem using a 3rd party free program called AutoHotKey, which allowed me to remap the large button to left click. If you're interested I used the following settings:
MButton::LButton
LButton::RButton
RButton:: MButton

With the large button mapped to primary click I love this mouse again! Before I remapped it I was considering buying an alternate ergonomic mouse. I think this mouse would be perfect if the large button was split and could be set to left and right click.

Summary
It fixed my wrist/index finger pain, but my thumb wasn't happy with it until I used a 3rd party app to remap the buttons.
7 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 28 August 2010
Traditional mice weren't really designed for people. They came about as a result of technology research at Xerox's Palo Alto research labs, and became widely adopted for PC and Apple computers without any great thought being given to what long-term damage they could be doing to their users. The "hand-twisted-back" posture the traditional mouse forces users to adopt can damage the carpal muscle through continual compression, and this causes pain (sometimes thought of as a form of RSI).

This 3M mouse allows the user to put their hand in a relaxed posture, on its side with the thumb resting over a rocker switch that acts as the left and right mouse buttons, and the two middle fingers over another button that is middle button. The instructions say it takes some getting used to; I was amazed by how easy it is. You are advised to adjust the mouse scroll speed so you hardly need to move the mouse. After about 20 minutes, I felt completely at home with this new mouse. It feels so natural, and it has already made a big difference to the pain I had begun to develop as a result of twenty years of using a Microsoft mouse. I wish I had been using one of these mice all along, so I hadn't developed the pain in the first place!

The one down-side is there's no wheel to scroll up and down, but middle-clicking in many programs puts you into an auto-scroll mode, which is actually an easier way to scroll.

It's a USB optical mouse, with a PS/2 adapter if you need it. You are advised to get the version that your hand best fits into, but there's no guidance - it would be nice to be able to try them both out before choosing. I bought the large version, and it's probably just a smidgeon larger than I would ideally like (I'm a slightly taller than average male). I have had the opportunity to try the small/medium size, and it definitely feels too small for me. It's right-handed mouse, so only good if you use your right-hand for you mouse (I do, even though I'm left-handed).

It's not a cheap mouse - but my health is worth it!

A couple of notes about build quality:

The "joystick" handle of this mouse is held on to the base by four weak internal plastic clips. If you try putting the mouse in a laptop bag (as I did), there's a strong possibility that the handle will break off (and indeed mine did). Thankfully, there is a wide enough surface inside to use superglue to fix the handle back on, which is what I did, and the mouse is fully functional again.

There's also a crack between the moulded halves of the handle through which I sometimes see the red LED, which can be annoying. I don't think it would be difficult to block that crack if necessary.
12 people found this helpful
on 20 August 2016
After using a Mac for about a year I developed terrible RSI in my right index finger (I think it was the sidewards swipe that did it!). This also started making using my iPad and iPhone uncomfortable too and drastically dropped my productivity. I use voice dictation as much as possible but still needed to move around a lot of things with the mouse. I tried a couple of ergonomic designs which didn't help that much as they still needed use of the finger. However this one is amazing - just uses the thumb and allows you to rest your index finger completely. The really cool thing is that on the Mac you can still use the Mac mouse with your left hand, giving you the ability to use both mice at once to do things like scroll and select.

Like all new things it took some getting used to, depressingly slow at first, but now I'm away and I think faster than I was before!!
on 17 November 2016
I bought this after suffering from rsi in my wrist and I have been using it daily for a number of years with no recurrance of rsi so I guess it did the trick.
It takes a bit of getting used to, mainly because it looks like a joystick so on first use you try to use it like a joystick.. Once you get the hang of the two button on the top (left and right mouse) and the button on the stem (scroll), it is simple to use and certainly doesn't hinder my day to day pc use.
I would buy this again, though it still works as well as when I bought it so not sure why I would need to:)
on 10 October 2011
The 3M Ergonomic Optical Mouse (Wired) is a neat vertical mouse replacement and will suit a lot of people that fall within the size guide on the 3M website. I am one of those that does not my hands are bigger than that recommended, 115mm-120mm across the palm, I suspect I also have longer fingers than the product was designed for as well, so my hand ends up being squashed down onto my little (pinky) finger causing pins and needles in the hand/finger after about 2 hours constant use.

Do not get me wrong it is a well thought out design, I had no problem getting used to the thumb (left/right) mouse button and having my hand vertical rather than twisted flat like a conventional mouse does help the pain in my wrists and shoulders to stay away for much longer also because of the thumb mouse buttons, my index/middle fingers are not curled up trying to press the buttons and/or scroll wheel on a conventional mouse.

Another problem that I found was if I use the 3M mouse with a mouse mat with a gel wrist rest I ended up twisting the mouse rather than sliding it about, i.e. leaving wrist in position and then bending the hand to move left and right, not good.

The 3rd mouse button, scroll wheel function !!! does not work in a lot of programs or even within certain windows dialogue boxes, making it pretty useless. I doi not think this is a problem of the mouse rather than no dedicated driver/software for it and relying on the default mouse software built into Windows.

Also I had to turn up the mouse speed to full to get it move at a rate I would like, but then all my mice/roller balls ran at that speed which was too fast. Again a fault becuase of the lack of dedicated drivers/software.

If those problems could be ironed out it would be a brilliant mouse.

Due to my hand size I have trouble with 90% of mice/rollerballs and this is no exception.
One person found this helpful
on 24 January 2013
I use a computer a lot! I have to use a mouse to edit video and create animation so I use the mouse for a lot of hours. This led me to develop a 'Repetitive Strain Injury' to my elbow, or known as 'Mouse Elbow'. I was a little sceptical about this joystick style mouse, but after just a couple of days my RSI has eased immensely.
I think the mouse could do with being a little bit more vertical, but this is only a slight bug. It's also a little odd to get used to, but it's miles better than suffering with RSI, I can tell you!! This is how mice should have been invented from the start. I doubt I'll ever go back to a traditional mouse.
If you can afford it, you may want to consider a touch screen monitor. This may be something I will look in to for the future. How you can edit video and do 3d animation with a touch screen is something I would like to investigate. Eventually it's probably the way all computing will go either as touch screen or hand gestures.
Anyway... This is the perfect product to either stop RSI or prevent it in the first place. A must for a desk-bound workaholic.
One person found this helpful
on 7 July 2015
This is a great replacement mouse if you suffer from Repetitive Strain Injuries. The mouse repositions the hand into a more natural sideways on position which reduces the effects of RSI and cramp which sometimes occur with a "normal" mouse.

So for that reason it's 5 stars.

The only negatives are that it took a while to get used to, especially the sensitivity in direction. Plus my business partner gets in a bit of a tiz when he jumps onto my computer to do something as he's not used to it. But of course it's mostly me using it so I couldn't drop a star for that.
on 24 October 2017
I've had one of these before. I use a computer all day at work, and the regular mouse isn't nearly as comfortable as this. Unfortunately I couldn't persuade the health and safety bods that I really needed one, so I ended up paying for it myself. It's worth it
on 27 April 2014
Well, this is one of those things that ought to be a good idea, but it isn't in reality, the time taken to get used to it is also the time it takes to realize that its not really very good, the button on top (rocker switch between left and right mouse button) makes it impossible to use both together (gaming etc.) and the third mouse button/trigger is also awkward to use, I have RSI and thought this would help, it didn't , it just made me 30 pounds poorer, unimpressed, sorry.

Next please, RB.
on 12 September 2017
Takes a bit of getting used to but it works fine. This was to help me as my middle finger used to use the scroll wheel at work and caused tendon pain, with this one you use the thumb to click a button, a lot less stressful on tendons.