Being a light sleeper and living on a busy road, getting a good night's rest has always been a bit of a struggle for me. When I'm asleep, or just as I'm about to nod off, some noisy car or lorry zooms or rubbles past the window and jolts me back awake. Again. And again. And again.

I am so pleased (and relieved) when I got these. I have found these little plugs do the job for me, much better than I could have hoped for. They come in individually packaged little boxes as sets of two. They are about 19 mm long and 13 mm across (see photo - pair in the middle) and are made from a sort of soft memory foam, which adapts to the contours of your ear canal when inserted.

You need to make sure they are properly fitted (you don't just stuff them in, as I did the first time I used them without looking at the box!). You roll them up between your thumb and fingers until they are thin and then gently insert into your open open ear. They then expand in you ear cavity to block out sound). There are even videos on YouTube showing you how to do it. I found it took a bit of trial and error to fit them perfectly (A slight roll between the fingers as I gently inserted them tended to do the trick for me).

They didn't block out sound completely (I didn't really expect them to, to be honest), but definitely reduced it significantly and also "dulled" the higher pitched noises too. I found it much easier to get to sleep and stay asleep, once there.
I also found an unexpected advantage of using these was, because I knew they worked, I was less anxious about getting to sleep (I wasn't lying there just waiting for the next loud noise to disturb me) so I found I was much more relaxed to begin with when going to bed and so got to sleep even easier!

A couple of points. Even though they are very comfortable, even when lying on them, I found it took about a week to get completely used to wearing the something in my ear. If you have the same problem, I'd recommend sticking with them, you will quickly get used to them and the reward of a good night's sleep is definitely worth the effort.

I one pair lasts about 3 nights, or so, of reuse before they stop springing back to their original cylinder shape after being used (although I found you can just turn them around and use the other ends, so that extends their usefulness).

Wished I tried these years ago.

I have also tried two other kinds of foam ear plugs;

Firstly; 3M 1100 Earplugs B018RIA3L2 (the left hand pair in the picture). These are made from a slightly smoother feeling "foamy" material than the "1100" type. The have the same diameter as the "classic", but are slightly longer and have a tapered end. I found these just about as effective as keeping the noise out. (5 stars)

Secondly; Laser Lite Ear Plugs by Honeywell SNR 35dB Earplugs (B018RIA3L2) (the right hand pair in the picture). I found these okay. While they are made from the softest foam of the three, I found them the least comfortable to wear, for some reason and I didn't think they kept the sound out quite as well for me as the other two types, so 3 stars, for me personally.

One final point. Because everyone is different, one of these styles of plug may not work for you, however, I would recommend trying out others until you find the right one for you. I know what it's like to be kept awake. It wears you down. Please keep looking. Don't give up. There are so many different types on the market and the right for you will be out there.
review image
on 6 June 2016
I have been using these earplugs for more than a decade now - I live by them! I am highly sensitive to noise, and so I use these when I'm working, to filter out background noise, and in bed at night (my husband snores). They deteriorate in efficiency with each use - I'd say three uses each and then they don't work so well.
on 2 July 2015
The box arrived opened at the bottom, I contacted the reseller who was very courteous, they ensured the issue is dealt with so it does not happen again from the delivery origin, they posted to me more ear plugs to replace the ones that fell off the box; I did not want to post the whole box back and forth.
They kept me informed at all times. This is the second time I buy this product, I like it very much and it has served my ears very well.
I have never had any ear irritation due to using this product. all in all I am a happy customer.
on 27 July 2016
the noise reduction quality is sadly now not good enough for me.
i have just opened a box of 250 and i would like my money back.
it's that simple. the last box i bought was bad. this one the plugs are visibly smaller, lighter than the marginal ones before.
i used to swear by these, but quite simply they are now rubbish.

i would give zero stars if i could
there is nothing worse than expecting quality and getting rubbish
on 16 January 2017
The best brand of earplugs, in my opinion. Comfortable and effective. A life essential!
on 10 August 2015
The best ear plugs you will ever buy. I travel frequently and struggle to sleep in noisy hotels. Also works when I go camping with my friends who start snoring even before they fall asleep(?).
on 20 October 2014
Used to fill the holes on horses shoes when studs have been removed
on 3 July 2015
I always use these, they are the best.
on 5 December 2014
Just what you would expect. Work very well and is a life saver when you have a partner who snores heavily!! Delivery was in good time and product is just what you would expect. All good!!
on 16 May 2017
Shipment has been delivered correctly. Item as described.