on 26 January 2005
I was really looking forward to this book and I wasn't disappointed. Lynda has obviously worked very hard to illuminate our understanding of how the meanings of the Sabian Symbols can be applied to any branch of astrology, and her comments on each degree-symbol are well thought-out, comprehensive and very informative.
The cards themselves are easily detachable at the back of the book and make a great conversation-opener when placed strategically on the coffee-table!
The book opens with a brief history of the Sabian Symbols; how they were brought forward into the world via the clairvoyance of Elsie Wheeler and the astrological foresight of Marc Edmund Jones. It continues with advice on how to use the symbols in a birthchart, and this advice is straightforward and easy to follow.
The bulk of the book is devoted to a comprehensive interpretation of each degree symbol using the format "Commentary", "Oracle", "Keywords" and "Caution", and what I particularly appreciate is the way Lynda says at the bottom of each page "What does this symbol say to you?". This leaves room for your own mind to work on the symbolism, so you're not left feeling as though you are being brainwashed with someone else's ideas.
Finally, Lynda includes on each page a selection of quotations - some profound, some wise, some downright hilarious - that illustrate the core-meanings of each symbol and help you to "get" the heart of the message.
Not only is this an excellent book, and one I would recommend to any serious student of astrology, but the oracle cards really do work, sometimes in a very literal fashion! I have used them several times and they have always amazed me...
Well done, Lynda Hill! This is obviously a labour of love.
on 23 May 2011
I really really love this oracle, the answers coming from it are so precise and direct and touch my core. Lynda has put a perfect explanation with each degree of the symbols- it's just such a joy to use. The book is also full of quotes that are often deep and sometimes hilarious. Looking up the astrological degrees has been amazing too, so to the point. I am taking it everywhere and I have used it with many of my friends. Praise to the author, this book is a treasure!
on 1 January 2014
Amazing to view the degrees with my natal chart, then see the progress made with the progressional chart, this will be a constant companion. Jacqueline....