on 17 February 2017
Before continuing, I'm going to attempt to write this without spoiling the plot in any way.

Ok, so. I don't envy the authors task of writing a finale to an excellent series, something which you may have invested a lot of time reading and grown very attached to over the series. Inevitably I find such conclusions are at best somewhat underwhelming, and unfortunately this is the case here. Overall it is a pleasant way of passing a few hours, and as ever Clarkes descriptions of the future are brilliantly descriptive, enjoyable and in contrast to most Sci Fi writers, overwhelmingly optimistic. The fact that this isn't a Sci Fi novel which portrays the future as some inevitable, bleak dystopia is a breath of fresh air, and on that alone the book is probably worth reading.

One thing I will note is that this book does undo some aspects of the previous series, just like its predecessors, and if you are like me you may have actually preferred the old elements of the story over the new one. Having read all the series, on reflection I'm not sure whether or not I would have preferred it if i had stopped after reading 2010 or 2061, as I think I preferred their conclusions, however I don't think I would have been able to live with myself if I had left the series unfinished.

So, if you do want to press on an complete this series with this book, expect to enjoy the vast majority of it, but for your own sake please, please, please temper your expectations.
on 20 June 1999
The best book I have read this year . A fitting end to a superb series .
on 3 August 1999
Clarke is often spoken of as the successor to HG Wells. It seems that his art may be following a similar pattern- from concise, exciting blends of action and speculation, to bland tracts on Man's Destiny. This book is almost a synthesis of much of Clarke's other work (the Space elevator makes a welcome reappearance), and at times it seems that the author didn't really want to write a Space Odyssey book but just ramble on to his friends about how amazingly futuristic the future could be. I do hope this book isn't a contractual obligation because the series, especially after the brilliance of 2010, deserves more. It is written in an accessable style, though Clarke can be a bit smug at times- again, echoes of Wells. Apart from the Elevator, we see the fruits of genetic engineering and the final form of government. Also there's a good bit with a vault on the moon full of scary things. The end is desperately disapointing, Clarke's successors, Greg Bear or the superb Stephen Baxter, could have done so much more. And yet it's all many times better than any of the so-called science fiction that mkes it to the telly, and you could do worse than reading it on the beach or on the train. Has the great man lost his touch?..
on 23 October 1999
First published in 1997, this book is largely a commentary on (or an indictment of) the Twentieth Century, from the perspective of 1000 years hence. However, it does not need to be set that far in the future. As the leading character, Frank Poole, resurrected from '2001 : A Space Odyssey', catches up on all that he has missed, there are innumerable references to 'during his time' and 'shortly before he was born'. There seem to have been surprisingly few significant events in the intervening centuries. On the front cover Arthur C. Clarke is credited as 'The Prophet of the Space Age', and so he was in writing the first three books in the series, all of which are set in the 21st century. This one however, has a significant element of fantasy in it, as predicted advances in science and technology are either those that we can confidently expect in the next two or three decades, or else are wildly speculative. Hence, it would fit quite comfortably in the late 22nd century (except that he would then miss the opportunity to comment on the transition from one millennium to the next, including an oblique reference to the millennium bug !).
Further, his views on religion (expressed through the character of Dr. Theodore Khan) are preposterous and illogical, and probably offensive to any practising Buddhist, Christian, Hindu, Jew or Muslim, in spite of his assurance in the 'Valediction'. Religion as I understand it is about love, care, and sacrificial giving, not murder, torture and using computer viruses to bring about the collapse of a bank !
Don't let any of that put you off reading it though. The story is first class, retaining plenty of page-turning momentum, and the Monoliths are finally explained, forming an appropriate conclusion to the 'Odyssey' series.
on 9 November 1999
I understand that people may say that some of the expressed ideas are not original but it surely takes true genius to predict what will be in 1000 years. The ideas already in circulation are difficult to expand on. As for Mr.Clarke's views on religion, I feel that he has a strong point. Remind me of the last war that started for a reason other than differing religious/racial views. I think that a world with minimal religion would be a peaceful world. Surely that is preferable to the world that we live in today.
on 25 February 2000
I was desperate for this book after 2010. I had to know what happened to Europa. The words, "We're bringing aboard a thousand-year-old astronaut ...", tingled my spine with anticipation. Sci-fiction is not my favourite genre but I love this book and the whole series. I find them sensitively written and not so full of jargon that the plot is lost in gobbledy gook. Well done Arthur C. Clarke. I enjoyed this as much on a second reading as on my first reading.
on 30 December 2000
This Book Is simply Brilliant. Clarke's grip on technology and the what the future may hold is inspiring. The end of an exceptional series of books, 3001 answers the many questions posed in the previous three titles. The way it is written makes you think that everything he is saying is not only possible, but also enevitable. I couldn't put this book down. Be warned though, you may have to read the book at least twice to grasp the ideas it contains and the explanation of why the monoliths are here. Supurb reading.
on 17 May 2000
As a standalone novel, the book is excellent. Clarke maintains his flowing style, uncluttered with scientific jargon. However, its one major sticking point is that it explains the Monoliths. The dark structures, once shrouded with age and mystery, are brought down sharply to our own mundane level. Nonetheless, the book is, I think, worth reading, and certainly I had trouble putting it down.
on 7 March 1999
After reading the most important books in science fiction history, I was expecting 3001 to be a fitting climax but I was dissapointed to read the authors well publicised visions of the future. The book lacked few original ideas and finished quite limply. Overall I thought that the author was pleased to bring this space odyssey to an end and after 2000 years who can blame him?
on 12 July 2000
WOW! What a series! Forget the Star Wars movies, the Star Trek episodes or X-Files. This is THE ultimate series of books for anyone who likes books, science-fiction or not. 3001 sums up the series perfectly with an amazing conclusion to the mysterious Moniliths! Read the books (especially 2001!) and enjoy a brilliant read. 3001 offers guarenteed addictiveness.