on 20 August 2017
Just as described
on 27 March 2017
Vgood
on 25 April 2011
I bought this book some time ago but hadn't really done anything with it. I'm an electronics engineer and I purchased the book so that I had something I could use to introduce a friend's son into electronics, he had shown an interest. I found the book well written with excellent choices for simple circuits using components that are easily available. Each circuit that I have constructed worked first time and the example code was clear and concise. Most of the circuits took less than 20 minutes to construct and test which was great as keeping an eleven year old's attention for longer than half an hour can be difficult!

Hope this helps

Alex
on 15 November 2011
OK. So fitstly I should mention that I am a complete novice with the Arduino, and that this is the first book I have bought to aid my new found interest.

The biggest, and perhaps only, floor with this book, is the fact that when it comes to the examples of writing the code for these evil projects (and they are), no-where does it include a little explanation as to what the code is actually doing for you i.e next to the line of code - a lot of other books or online sources will put '//' and then mention what that line of code means. This is unfortunately a rather big frustration when it comes to understanding exactly what it is that i'm doing to my arduino board. There is, in fairness, a 4-page 'introductory' section on the C programming language that the arduino uses, which is kind of useful, but it really is the most basic coding. A vast majority of the rest of the coding in the more difficult profects is never explained. To ommit the said style of teaching for me is too much of an annoyance. Consequently i've had to put this book back on the shelf until I can get a better grasp of the programming language etc.

In conclusion, if you are a complete novice and are expecting to get through these projects with no prior programming knowledge (to quote the back of the book), then i'd personally suggest buying the Arduino Cookbook, or similar, along side this one.

If you know what you are doing with the arduino and you already understand the programming language, then this book might well be quite good for you. Hence the 3 stars.
on 26 March 2013
As a major evil genius I find this an important book for my hidden archive, my minions also have been found perusing amongst the Machiavellian contents but I have put a short sharp end to that! It seems there is a number of these Evil genius books I have collected. Yes I spend many hours making up these projects looking forward to the time when I too shall rule you unwashed masses! These books are mine not yours!
on 12 February 2012
I have bought a few of these Evil Genius books over the last few years and have never been disappointed with them.This is no exception.As usual with these books they lead you gently into the subject without you getting lost and bored before you even start.Recommended reading.
on 22 December 2011
Absolutely worth the price..... Everyone can start here.... I could probably find some better project to start with but maybe you need an electronic music harpe :-).... Anyway a good place to start, you will soon se the picture... Lots of good examples ...
on 14 June 2012
For those of us who have to teach computer studies subjects (and in particular control systems) this slim book is an absolute godsend. Simply laid out and well written it shows how the Arduino board can be used to set up simple controls and the pieces of code to drive the board for the projects, are simple easy to understand and (dare I say it elegant). As a source of ideas for simple inexpensive projects this is an excellent starting point and well worth buying.
on 29 December 2010
I purchased the eBook version of this title, one of the first books I have downloaded for my brand new Kindle. I'm about a third of the way through at the moment so I'll post again when I've read it all. My first impression (and they count) is that the book is full of annoying little discrepancies. These make following the logic of the book quite difficult at times. The biggest problem I have found to-date is that for some reason (probably the translation to Kindle eBook format) everywhere there should be a "<" (less than) sign, there isn't. They have quite simply been missed out of the book (or lost). Again, this makes things difficult to follow as the example code doesn't work.
55 Comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 February 2015
If you are just starting out with electronics, this book will take you places. The Arduino is an incredible component: you can just tell it what you want it to be. This book gives you a cursory but illuminating introduction to writing functionable code that does what you want it to do. The real genius in this book comes from demonstrating some foundation level electronics that take projects into the practical, functioning realm. With some expertly chosen and simple examples, a new enthusiast can learn how a handful of building block principles can combine to bring to fruition the imaginings of a creative genius, evil or otherwise.