on 10 September 2017
I was a bit sceptical reading the foreword,but it turned out a great book,l really enjoyed it.thougherly recommend it.could not put it down.
on 6 March 2017
good
on 2 December 2013
Having read and marvelled at 'Haunted from Within,' I was eager to see how this author would treat an entirely different subject. I wasn't disappointed - far from it. I thought at first I might get bogged down in the nuclear physics side of it - having detested anything vaguely scientific at school, but realised it was all very relevant to the amazing story, so much so that I couldn't put the book down until I'd read both parts. There are so many fantastic threads to this story, that it is impossible to be bored.
Through it all I kept wondering how anyone could possibly have thought of this and that and then woven it into the story to such an extent that you actually believed that lots of this was fact and not a story at all! The ending was phenomenal and showed a more than fertile imagination. I laughed out loud! The books were read first by my husband who muttered every so often " This guy is amazing. His writing is so clear, and his imagination is(literally) out of this world."
We both enjoyed the story immensely and would both give it at least 5 stars out of 5!
on 18 November 2013
Wow! What an amazing imagination Ian Irvine has. I literally couldn't put this down once I had started to read!
I was transported back and forwards through time and became really concerned for the fate of the main characters. This may not be a book, I would normally have chosen to read in the past- pirates and time travel seem an unlikely combination, and at the risk of being sexist, maybe a bit of a boys' thing,but I am really glad I did. It is an exciting, humorous and illuminating read.
on 22 December 2013
DON'T stereotype this as a pirate adventure, because that suggests it is a children's story - nope, it is a riveting read even for 47 year olds like me. And yet it certainly is an adventure, with lots of threads contributing to the thrill and lots of cliffhangers. I genuinely lost a lot of sleep, with a kindle under the covers, trying to stay awake so I could follow the next and then the next twist in the story. I've read Ian's other books, and I've written this review to say I believe this is the best yet. Having said it is not a children's story, I am now recommending it to my 10 year old. If it were a film I'd pass it as a U, and it deserves to be a film, because it is genuine entertainment. Highly recommended.
on 10 March 2014
And perhaps it should be compulsory reading if you like a cracking yarn that rattles along, exploring completely new territory.

A swashbuckling adventure that becomes humorous, then addresses potentially serious threats to mankind, all tied up with a bit of sci fi.

If you think that sounds a bit too much then think again - this is a really entertaining novel that will keep you pressing the Next button on the Kindle. Mr Irvine's imagination is to be envied.

Negatives? One or two typos (I'm happy to point them out to the author if he so wishes) but nothing that detracts from the highly original story line.

If you want classic literature this is not for you - stick to Dickens. If you like to read novels that are entertaining and well thought through then you should definitely not miss this masterpiece.
on 2 December 2013
A riveting read that kept me on the edge of my seat and guessing 'till the very end! This book has it all - mystery, romance, the past and the future. With brilliant characters and an attention to detail that paints wonderful pictures in the minds eye. It's funny, exciting and extremely clever. I was not able to put this book down, I was constantly eager to see what was coming next. It's a brilliantly written book that left me feeling like I'd been on an adventure.
on 8 February 2014
Brilliant concept - science put across in an easily understandable way and a thrilling read. Packed with thrills, spills (literally!), adventure, history, romance, thought provoking scientific possibilities of time travel and epidemiology. This book crosses so many genres yet contains plenty of fun and humour. A must buy.
on 22 July 2014
This left me more than a little confused and wondering if indeed I had travelled in time and space! The plot was easy to follow but looking on the Amazon site it looked as if 21st Century Pirates and Free to infect were part one and two of the series but it tuned out that they are it seems the same book! So not only did I buy a book I did not need but answers about the lives of two of the main characters were left unanswered. Much though I would like to know, I will not buy any future books on principle.

Good story spoilt by bad marketing!
on 7 February 2014
This is a MUST read for anyone. It has it all....pirates...romance....treasure....and of course a good old deadly infection. I could not put this book down (I bought the omnibus). I don't think I could have waited for the second one to load onto my kindle... all of approx 10 seconds!!! It would make an absolutely amazing film. Thank you Ian. Please keep them coming