on 18 September 2017
Excellent book for finding easy to prepare healthy recipes. Michelle Harvie is a well known for her 5:2 diet. This is a must have book for keeping those horrible diseases at bay by eating better.
on 19 August 2017
Gave as gift.
on 18 June 2013
I love this book. It's very easy as it works out portion sizes and everything.
the recipes are simple and quick to do.
on 27 April 2013
I bought the book and the cookbook as well. I'm glad I bought the cookbook because if I relied on just reading the diet book It would have been delegated to the shelf where diet books die slowly.
The cookbook is straightforward, has great recipes for all meals of the day. There are several tables that will tell you how much calories you can eat on restricted and unrestricted days. Far more flexible than the Michael Mosely 5:2 diet which I nearly fainted on.
The cookbook caters for vegetarians and gives realistic quantities depending on your gender and weight.
I've done 3 days so far, 2 unrestricted and 1 restricted and I've lost 3 lbs. and I didn't pass out on my restricted day. I am following the 3 week menu given in the book. The meals are varied, tasty and easy. Some recipes I just don't like and I've swapped those with others but still sticking to my servings of proteins , carbs and fats.
This eating plan does take some planning on advance. I'm using an iPhone App to plan my food for the week.
I personally find this eating plan far easier to stick to than the Michael Mosely diet.
I have a lot of weight to lose so I was looking for something that I could follow and wasn't faddish for a long time. I believe this is it. My family have not noticed that I am eating differently because they get the same food but with more carbs added.
I would strongly recommend the diet cookbook but not the diet book itself.
Good luck.
on 1 July 2016
Absolutely brilliant. I have genuinely dropped more than half a stone in about three weeks following the recipes in this book. They have changed my eating habits so that I do not feel continually hungry and even my husband now eats the meals I prepare for myself, but with additional quantities of vegetables like potatoes, etc. I am highly delighted with the success I am achieving. I will continue once I have reached my goal weight because I feel so much healthier and fitter
on 2 October 2013
On first 'inspection' it looks good, but I have not had a chance to test the menus. I received the book two days before my holiday but look forward to using it now I am back.
I've been following a 5:2 dietary regime for about 6 months, ever since watching a Horizon programme by a Dr Michael Moseley, see also The Fast Diet: The Secret of Intermittent Fasting - Lose Weight, Stay Healthy, Live Longer, who, after looking at a number of intermittent fasting diets, some of them pretty extreme, advocated a very simply approach based on restricting your diet to just 600 kilocalories (500 for women) for two days per week. It was only recently, however, that I came across Dr Michelle Harvie and Prof Tony Howell's variation on that theme, and - since my weight loss had rather stagnated - decided to adopt their approach.

The "2 Day Diet" approach is very much more technical - restricting calories is less important than avoiding carbohydrates and favouring proteins on the two dieting - or in their parlance, "restricted" - days. Moreover, while Mosely's approach was literally "eat what you like" on the other 5 days, Harvie and Howell do impose a regime of following a "Mediterranean" diet. It's fair to say that this approach makes old fashioned calorie counting look simple in comparison - their system involves a requirement to have a certain number of portions of carbs, protein, fat, dairy, vegetables and fruit each day. The bonus is that the calorie count is much less restrictive, and they say that there's no need to miss a meal. As I've been skipping dinner on my two fasting days, that sounds an attractive option. The complexity of the approach is not such a problem if you can simply choose the appropriate recipes, but having bought their original book The 2-Day Diet: Diet Two Days a Week. Eat Normally for Five.for my Kindle, I realised very quickly that an ebook is not a good way to have a recipe book - tables are hard to read, and nothing beats a bookmark or post-it note to identify the page you're working to. Accordingly, I ordered this cookbook in advance, and today it was waiting for me when I got home.

Just six pages are spent summarising the principles of the 2 Day Diet, which is fine by me - the original book had to establish the research credentials of the method, and a great deal of space was devoted to "FAQs", some of which seemed a bit repetitive. Harvie and Howell both became involved in this work researching ways to prevent cancers - primarily breast cancer - and the proceeds of this book, like the last, go to Genesis Breast Cancer Prevention. There are then 76 pages devoted to restricted day diets, just under 50 to unrestricted days - 43 and 22 recipes respectively - and then a dozen pages are devoted to a summary of nutritional information, information on serving sizes, ready-reckoners and meal planners.

Most recipes are designed to serve four, but there are some single person ones too.

The book is a good size - 9.5 inches high by 7.5 inches wide - printed on full colour semi-gloss paper with excellent photographs of almost all of the recipes. The semi-gloss is fine by me - it allows notes to be made on the paper, even in ink, although pencil is probably better as ink will take a minute to dry, and I find that essential in recipe books. (My mother doesn't approve, I should point out!) The text is well spaced out so it's easy to read. All in all it's a beautifully produced book as well as having great content, and I'm looking forward to getting it splattered with ingredients as of tomorrow evening!
on 5 June 2014
I bought this book ten months ago and have been following the basic premise of two days being strict (but not as strict as 600 calories a day - more 1000). I lose 1 kg each time I try it out, and then stabilise that new weight for the following days by being sensible. My family can have the same food but with lots of filling potatoes,bread, rice or pasta, etc, so they don't even notice eating 'diet' food. The average main course is ready within 30 minutes and a lot are even quicker. One of our favourites is the stuffed tarragon chicken but I usually don't have any tarragon and use whichever low fat cream cheese is on offer at the supermarket, often with either garlic and chives already added. The other favourite is the Turkey Burgers made with lean minced turkey with spring onions, harissa paste, coriander and mint. The harissa jar will last for three outings of this recipe for 4 .You can adapt the accompanying vegetables for all the recipes to whatever is in season which will not make it as expensive as slavishly having ingredients like asparagus out of season. I feel healthier, have been steadily losing weight and find this book a huge help. Over the ten months, I've lost over a stone and don't feel I'm depriving myself by eating this delicious food. Highly recommend it, especially if you find the 500-600 calorie 2 day diet hard to do.
on 2 May 2013
The recipes are all easy to follow and everything we've tried has been delicious. I have lost 4 kilos so far and it feels like I'm not even trying.
on 10 June 2013
and very pleased I did as I can keep track of what I am doing on any of my Kindle apps.. beats carrying the book around with me all the time