- Save 10% on selected children’s books, compliments of Amazon Family Promotion exclusive for Prime members .
The 1st Comic Book: Book 1: The Girl with the Curly Hair Paperback – 31 Oct 2013
|New from||Used from|
Special offers and product promotions
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Professor Tony Attwood says, "I laughed many times as I read the thought bubbles, knowing how succinctly you describe the thoughts and feelings of someone who has Asperger's Syndrome." There are lots of Neurotypical people in the world, and fewer people with Asperger's Syndrome. This means sometimes it can be very hard for them to understand one another. This engaging picture book presents simple, insightful, communicative comic strips of everyday situations between the person with Asperger's Syndrome (AS) and the Neurotypical (NT) person in their overlapping worlds. The Girl with the Curly Hair writes for anyone who wants to understand a different mind. Key features: presenting a difficult and complicated subject in an easy to read, engaging comic style format, a very visual book, which can be "left lying around", illustrating normal everyday situations which everybody can relate to, a good starting point for discussions starting discussions about why people with Asperger's Syndrome may behave the way we do, a must read for adults on the autistic spectrum and their neurotypical family and friends Video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yciDgDHItPM **Please note this book is intended for adults not children. Teenagers may prefer The 3rd Comic Book instead**
Top customer reviews
The book takes different life scenarios and gives an insight into what the person with Aspergers is feeling/thinking in those scenarios and what the NT person is feeling/thinking. It's a very easy way to start to understand the way someone with Aspergers views and interacts with the world around them.
I've read a lot of books on Aspergers and have Aspergers myself, many books are too wordy and complex for the average person to digest. This is very different, anyone could read this book and enjoy it too.
Alis Rowe has done an exceptional job in sharing information about life with Aspergers in a no-fuss easy to comprehend format. An exceptional book to read and share, I like the pages in it for the readers own notes and thoughts also. I could see this book used well in a lot if different settings.
5 stars for it's originality, format and accurate messages inside.
As someone with Asperger's Syndrome myself, they are important to me because:
1) it is *amazing* to see in print my own 'weird' reactions to things, with an explanation of why I feel or behave like that,
2) I can show people I know so that they know I am not just being difficult or mean or whatever,
3) they help me to see the other side and get some idea of what other people might think or feel in the same situation, because the NT perspective is also shown, and
4) they are told with Alis Rowe's particular genius of clarity and humour.
Highly, highly, highly recommended. And the others in the series as well!!! Fantastic!!!
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Applied Psychology > Counselling > Family Therapy
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Applied Psychology > Psychotherapy
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Self Help > Practical & Motivational
- Books > Mind, Body & Spirit > Self Help