on 11 June 2013
I've installed this in a Dell Dimension 3100 along with a new copy of W7 and a new Radeon graphics card as an upgrade from the old 320GB drive, XP and the old MB graphics.

It is significantly faster in use than the original drive, and has about the same acceptably low level of acoustic noise. At a claimed 150MBytes/s host to/from drive (sustained) data transfer rate this WD10EZRX is the fastest of all the current WD Green drives even if not the biggest. The rotational speed is chosen using the IntelliPower algorithm to maximise transfer rate in all parts of the disk while minimising errors.

It fitted into the original 'clip-in' drive caddy with no problems, and plugged into the machine as normal.

The drive initialised and formatted correctly under the control of the W7 DVD and tested out OK with no errors. It runs cooler to the touch than the original did.

I've restored all the previous data from the backup, and now keep the old drive untouched in the packing the WD came in as an emergency spare with XP and all the old software and data 'just in case'.

It is still looking good after almost a fortnight in service. I'll report if there are any problems, but based on previous experience with these I expect it should be OK for a few years now.

Addendum. 13th October 2013
Added another of these to the same computer because the first one has proved to be excellent. This is for more flexibility with the editing so that all the big data files are kept on a separate D: work drive with its own distinct external mirror back up, thus leaving the C: drive with all the system files and programs relatively unstressed for longest life.
12 people found this helpful
on 31 March 2017
Despite only being used to back up 100GB worth of photos, this drive failed after less than 4 years of very light use.
I first noticed a problem when trying to store some photos on the drive, in that the access speed was extremely slow. I carried out a test on the drive using the diagnostics on my PC, which came back as being O.K. but the drive was hundreds of times slower than an identical drive, which is also used to back up the same data. I removed the drive and had it tested at a local PC repair shop, who informed me that it was unusable.
I have since replaced it.
What is the point of having these drives to back up your data if they cannot be relied upon to do so?.
on 21 November 2014
I bought this to replace a five year old version in a NAS box, which had failed well before its expected average lifetime. It happens, I suppose, but the data was mirrored on the NAS so nothing was lost (as per design!). Yes, I know that "green" drives are now not recommended for NAS use, but that wasn't the wisdom at the time when I installed them. In my experience of buying hard drives (lots of them) since 1987, I'd say that WD have definitely been the least reliable brand, but at least in a mirrored NAS you stand minimal chance of losing anything important so it's perfectly ok to take the risk with them (as they're cheap). I only bought like-for-like, by the way, as I've recently upgraded to a much more modern NAS setup and wanted to avoid potential compatibility problems on the older box, which has now been relegated to "secondary backup" status.
on 13 April 2018
One of the HDD bought died after 1 week of usage. Return policy useless as only of 1 month. How can this be?
Update: Have now discovered that it has also no manufacture warranty and had only for the US, so in this case this is a fraud, the HDD has no value. If you buy it you are on your own
This is the email I received from WD.

Dear Eugenia,

Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately, we cannot update the warranty on your drive based on this receipt. Our records indicate that the drive was originally sold in the year 2014 with a limited warranty of 2 years in different region(US). However purchase invoice shared is of UK. Our records does not match the proof of purchase provided.

We recommend you to contact your place of purchase for the warranty services. You may use this email letter to demonstrate Western Digital’s official view of the product you purchased from your vendor.

SERIAL NUMBER: WCC4J3TKAS9X (MODEL #WD10EZRX)

We apologize for the inconvenience. If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.
on 27 January 2013
Purchased this to supplement old existing Seagate 160GB SATA drive on Win7 64bit SandyBridge i-5 system. This drive appears to be best value offered by Amazon itself ( I always buy their kit "sold and supplied by Amazon" because any problems have always been immediately rectified) and this drive has decent write-ups elsewhere on the web.

For all normal use its quick: HD Tune utility shows transfer rate max 148MB/sec compared to 62MB/sec on the old Seagate which was perfectly good for my usual stuff and even that as the operating system drive gave a start-up time to everything available of 50 seconds. This WD caviar drive is being used to store data only and is completely silent and outstanding value per megabyte -- especially compared to solid-state disks.

If you are computer DIY competent then you will have no problems. If you haven't installed a hard drive before -- especially on an existing system you may find these links useful (since although Windows will recognise the drive it won't necessarily automatically make it usable in practice -- you need to do a couple of tweaks!) Be especially aware that there is a proper procedure to move data from an existing drive to the new one and if you don't follow the procedure your poor old computer may get very confused -- and give you a headache into the bargain also!

[...]
[...]

Another problem you may encounter is the SATA power lead: on an older system you may have only Molex connectors or perhaps a limited number of SATA which have already been used. Don't forget to buy a Molex to SATA conversion connector which will solve the problem and cost you very little on Amazon.

Can't find anything wrong with this as a storage solution -- if you need the latest and greatest and money is no object there are much more expensive options -- some of the ones I looked at for example, the Western Digital Red series which are recommended and designed for NAS systems do not transfer data as quickly (and there are good reasons for this) but will cost you more and you might think that more expensive = better. But as in many things in life, it is not necessarily so.

Highly recommended.
VINE VOICEon 8 September 2015
This is an inexpensive internal hard drive, quiet, low power consumption, runs cool, high data capacity, easily a good enough data rate for archived files and music. For a small PC build the Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB ,or higher, drive could be very useful in a dual-drive computer, with one slot filled by a solid state drive (SSD) and the other by the 1TB hard drive. The SSD could be used as a boot and application drive to increase boot-up and load times, and the hard disk drive could be used as the mass storage device.
on 23 February 2014
I required a new hard drive for my Dell 530 computer, as the original Hitachi drive was staring to make screeching noises during use. This hard drive can with good reviews, together with WD will supply a limited copy of Acronis True Image, to Clone the old drive. Drive image will only load once you have installed your WD drive. I had a spare SATA cable and managed to find a spare power plug for the drive. Follow the usual precautions for installing items into the computer. then switch on and load True image. You can then clone your old hard drive to the new one. Shut down and then exchange the SATA cables from the old drive with the new to check everything is OK. Shut down and then swap the old drive for the new. I have kept the old drive while I check out the new drive,just in case. If you purchase and upgrade for True Image, you can destroy the files on the old drive before disposal, as well as having useful tools for hard drive management.
on 10 December 2015
Bought in conjunction with a CiT 3.5in HDD enclosure. Both arrived before the scheduled date, and before receipt of the email confirming delivery date! The hard drive was was well packaged and protected against damage. Once installed into the CiT enclosure, the hard drive was formatted and my PC picked up the drive with no problems at all. Both HDD and drive enclosure are working well, albeit so far only for a short time. Excellent customer service, speed of delivery and price. Definitely recommend.
on 19 November 2012
I plugged it into the PC. I added it to a Windows 7 Raid volume. It worked. I even messed about creating Raid 0, Raid 1, Raid 5 and 10 volumes using the hardware RAID controller from Intel and the software RAID controller in Windows 7.

I know some folk need the very best performance and can test this. All I can say is that for heavy home use it doesn't hold back the overall system. My Windows 7 machine is a media centre recording both Freesat HD and Freeserve and distributing this HD content over a 100Mbps Ethernet card to a 1 Gbps Ethernet switch and onto devices around the house.

I liked it so much that I bought another.
2 people found this helpful
on 21 January 2015
If you're using the drive for storing documents etc. then it;s perfectly suitable - however unfortunately the green aspect means that many actions involve a delay, and games running on the drive can often pause momentarily while the drive starts up (only a fraction of a second, but it;s frequent and can be annoying).

I did want a drive that shut down when not in use, as most of the time this drive isn't in use - but it seems a little TOO eager to turn off. Unfortunately because it;s all on-board logic there's no control over it. Being able to set the timeout to, say, an hour would completely eliminate my problem.