Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Nov 2011 20:05:57 GMT
Neal Vincent says:
Just a heads up... The UK Blu-ray is an inferior 1080i disc with the PAL speed-up problem - and to compound the insult it also lacks most of the extras found on the US Blu-ray release, like the audio commentary, the outtakes, and "Tucker and Dale ARE Evil" - a 16-minute re-edit of the film from an alternative persepective.

It might be "only" a low-budget indie film, but Tucker and Dale was shot with a Red One HD camera (a serious piece of kit) which only shoots in progressive scan. It does not shoot interlaced. Therefore the UK Blu-ray's 1080i presentation is a deliberate and completely unnecessary downgrading of the source material.

By contrast, the US Blu-ray's 1080p digital-to-digital transfer was described by Blu-ray.com as "a near-perfect Blu-ray presentation."

Why on Earth Sony chose to downgrade the UK disc's transfer to 1080i and drop most of the extras is a mystery only Sony can answer, but it's not something you should encourage with your money.

Needless to say, if you can play the US disc then that's the one to get.

Posted on 18 Dec 2011 22:40:24 GMT
Thanks for the heads up. I've almost bought it a couple of times, now I'm glad I didn't. This film deserves much better treatment.
I've bought a couple of films that turned out to be 1080i and was really dissapointed with them, so returned them. 1080i Blu-ray's should be clearly advertised as such.

I'll be buying the US disc when I find it at a good price.

Posted on 20 Dec 2011 22:22:00 GMT
Neal Vincent says:
Cheers! Glad I helped out. If only Amazon would put scans of the BACKS of the cases up, this kind of thing wouldn't be a problem... It's all very well having a zoomable picture of the front cover, but the back cover is where all the important info is! The perils of buying online, I guess...

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jan 2012 15:49:03 GMT
Last edited by the author on 1 Jan 2012 15:52:05 GMT
Blu-ray discs do not come in either pal or ntsc, pal and ntsc are references to the type of television you have. Buying a region free bluray disc from the US does not change your European television which is Pal. And on the subject of PQ I just watched my copy and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 1080i transfer, the picture is hidef and looks great.

Posted on 2 Jan 2012 11:30:29 GMT
True about the PAL/NTSC, but while the picture may be fine for 1080i, I think I'd rather watch it in full HD 1080p/24hz. I watch films projected and it really shows the difference.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jan 2012 14:32:24 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Jan 2012 14:38:33 GMT
Yes you are right about that, if I had a home cinema set up I would skip the interlaced blurays, and by the way bluray.com is my bible, I always check what they have to say about the PQ, and I am actually a little ticked off that the review I read there was for the 1080p disc and Amazon.co.uk did not care to inform us, the customer that this was a 1080i disc made for the european market. Once again the Europeans get screwed.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  25 Nov 2011
Latest post:  2 Jan 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about