Customer reviews

on 29 January 1998
Finally, a good motivational book that replaces the old-style hype with down-to-earth, practical ideas. This book is easy to read, whether you are very busy or just plain too discouraged to tackle a whole book. You can open the book at any place whenever you have a moment, and in less than 5 minutes you'll get a quick, instant burst of encouragement. If you've read or tried to put into practice many motivational books with minimal long-term results, you will really appreciate this one. As the author notes, the ideas he shares are among those which enabled him to rediscover himself. A sure breath of fresh air from those books written by others who have never really "been there, done that." This book, along with a dash of desire, might just help you, too. It's fun to read, and easy to relate to!
on 29 July 2011
This is a good book with some sound motivational tips in it but each tip has too much written about it and so it is a bit long winded. Also, some of the tips are very similar and there is quite a lot of repetition. In my view, there are punchier self-help books out there, not least by Brian Tracy (try "Goals !" or "Flight Plan" for instance.) Here is a motivational strategy that works for me - I have an overriding vision for my life (accumulate wealth and do my best for my family) then separate sub goals for different compartments such as family & friends, career, wealth, hobbies, health etc. All of these goals are written on a sheet of A4 which I consult all year round to keep me on course and this works wonders !
on 16 April 1997
One could easily pass over this book by simply looking at the title. Chandler's suggestions will not just motivate you, if you follow them they can change your life. His suggestions are based on his own experience. He is passing on what has actually worked for him and his clients so his comments are rock solid. One of these suggestions is worth the price of the book.
on 10 May 2007
Steve Chandler is an insistent, unabashed optimist, in the same vein as Norman Vincent Peale. He covers 100 motivational tips that stretch the imagination, factor in the impact of technology, and challenge you to evaluate your situation from different points of view. The choices you make can either motivate you or hinder you, so he provides a wide array of tips you can embrace, reject, or simply read and digest. You can implement the games and exercises to make working toward your dream goal more fun. Though much of the content is basic and available in other self-help books, we recommend this breezy paperback; you can carry it in your briefcase and open it up randomly if you're feeling low and want to get rejuvenated and motivated.
on 24 August 2010
This for me was a real eye opener. I started reading some what sceptical but once you get past the American (ness) of the writing I found it absolutely inspiring and it has changed my life in many ways. NOt all of the suggestions are for me but you take from it what you need and leave the rest behind as a bit of an education.

I liked it and it really did help motivate me and realise some very obvious things that were right in front of me
on 17 June 2011
Where was book when I was studying? Where was this book when I made my first career path!?
Steve Chandler manages to get in-depth while still keeping each point short and simple.
Brilliant ideas to get you motivated and closer to reaching your goals whatever they may be.
on 15 March 2012
This was a book I took to instantly. It is a light read with some powerful and original ideas that pop up every so often. Yellow river refers to the use of a highlighter pen for some great phrases that can give an instant "state change" and motivation to take a different perspective on a situation. It was revised in 2004 and feels fresh and lively. I wasn't aware of the author's other books at the time I bought this one and there may be an element of stretching concepts to create new books, so I still feel this is a good place to start with this author. I have and continue to review other books in this genre and give out 5 stars when a book makes a substantial impact. I like the writing style of this author who writes in a warm friendly way and although American avoids "religiousity". Certainly it is worth buying as it is a good pick-me-up with some handy tips. I particularly liked the concept of lighting my "lazy dynamite". A book like this tends to find a persuasive new way to get you doing the thing you already know you should be doing. So for little techniques and refinements, I am sure that for most people, this will help them make small tweaks. However, if you want the "change your life forever" type breakthrough that is promised on the cover then consider Jack Canfield or Brian Tracy. This is my 49th review so why not take a scroll through my previous reviews, pick a book and then see what other people have to say. This is how I select many of my books, picking a path between people who have only read one book on a subject and those that review professionally.
on 17 January 2014
I bought this book quite a few years ago and I find myself constantly going back to it - I just flip through it, read one of the suggestions and it's like a motivation 'pill'.

The ideas really are solid, sensible suggestions - none of them 'filler' which you often find in this type of book.

What I really like about it is that you don't need to read the whole book - all the ideas are 'stand alone'. Some of them have stuck with me over the years, for example:

Write four circles on a piece of paper. In one, write the goal for the year; then in the next circle for the month; then the week, and then today. The theory is that if these goals are all properly aligned, the only one that really matters is 'today' - if you keep doing it, day after day, the other circles will take care of themselves. Obviously it's not rocket science - but it really does help to be reminded of these things!

I'd really recommend this book if you need a bit of a boost and your motivation is flagging.
on 23 September 2012
There is no doubt the methods in this well-written offering work. Chandler knows what he is doing and tells it plainly. He is rather like a father figure, gently coaxing you out of your slumber into a more heightened sense. It all sounds basic and that would stop some people from following him, which I think (and I'm not the only one) is a big mistake as the book, if followed would yield positive results. They do not seem 100 ways, more like maybe 80 as perhaps 20 have been re-hashed. That said, who really cares as it is all good stuff and when I actually follow his advice, I do perform better (I work in a high pressure environment). I need another book by Chandler to motivate me to get self motivated to stay motivated!
on 9 October 2012
Easy read, great to pick up and open at any point and read something to get you going! Keep it in your handbag or briefcase and carry it around with you for instant inspiration.