Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£12.67+ £1.26 shipping

on 27 June 2009
Let's get the negatives out of the way first: The order pages don't list the artists per song, you just get a 'general' list of some of the performers, so I had to buy this 'blind' and was prepared to return it if it was less than brilliant. Now to the positives (yes, that's the only negative). Although a large percentage of the tracks here are from artists who are known for being in 'that show', there are some that aren't. However, every track is by someone who has been in that show, a replacement in a long run or a touring version. It doesn't matter. Every single track on 100 Hits - Musicals is a top quality recording. You'll find tunes here that you thought couldn't be bettered and yet, they have been. As a collector of Musical Theatre on DVD or CD I've even found several versions of songs that I haven't got which is wonderful when so many compilations seem to have more than their fair share of duff songs, performers or just the cheapest versions they could get hold of.
Once again DMG have come up with the goods (No, I don't work for them although I'd like to) The tunes are laid out in a sensible way, not 'thrown together' and there seems to have been some thought on how each CD would sound. The songs don't 'jar' because some tunes would have been better on another CD in the collection, they gel together very well indeed. they've even managed to get (quite) a few songs from the pen of the 'Musical Theatre King', Stephen Sondheim. Ah those beautiful tunes and with his witty, sad, internal rhyming lyrics... With this kind of music, you need to know how to sing it outside the context of the show yet still make it sound relevant. 'Send in the Clowns' for example is not a love song yet, so many performers, possibly because it's not sung within the context of a show, sing it as such. Here it is sung with all the bitterness, contempt and regret intact. In fact all of the artists on these albums really know how to perform these songs to perfection. Please buy this album so that DMG may decide to release a 2nd volume but mainly buy this for yourself. You won't find a better value set than this.
22 Comments| 130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 August 2010
If you love the musicals you will love this. 5 CD's capturing 100 great songs from many of the great shows. This set covers some of the classics as well as more recent shows. Recommend this CD
on 19 November 2010
A must for theatre fans, it has a great selection of songs from all the shows and being a singer is a great aid to help with auditions. A very good price for an amazing cd.
on 2 August 2010
This is well chosen selection from many musicals old and very new. And all brilliantly performed.
VINE VOICEon 12 January 2010
This is a superb collection of recordings, a great mixture of both familiar and less well-known musical names. But in every case, the versions here are vocally strong, excellently performed and beautifully recorded with proper orchestral backing. With 'value' compilations, you usually expect a couple of cheap, generic recordings, but that just isn't the case with this album at all - hats off to whoever compiled the track listing. Am actually quite shocked at the quality of this set!

It's a real mixed bag too, with everything from the West End to Broadway and even to the Silver Screen. For the price, there really isn't a better compilation of songs from the musicals - another absolutely excellent addition to the 100 Hits series.
on 1 April 2011
I bought this CD after realising my baby son had taken a liking to show tunes. It's great value and good to sing along to. Perfect for entertaining my three month old.
This is a fabulous way to enjoy some of the really classic show tunes without having to 'commit' yourself to any one production. The sound quality is excellent and the mixture of tunes is just about right. Whatever your mood, there's going to be something on here that will suit. Plus, you don't have to sit through all the really boring bits of these musicals. For me, that's anytime those on stage are talking when they could be singing. And it's whatever's left of the interval once I've eaten my pathetically tiny little ice-cream.

I have no idea about where, when or how these recordings came into being because the little booklet that came with this box hasn't been seen since the morning the set arrived on my doorstep. Perhaps it slipped into another dimension? Mind you, I don't remember it being particularly useful anyway. All I've got left to help me deduce what's what on these five discs is the list of tracks on the back plus a rather tantalising little list of some of the performers that have their work included. Hugh Jackman is mentioned, as are Tommy Steele and Elaine Paige. I think I've found Elaine - she's the one giving the rather marvellous (and surprisingly macho) rendition of 'If I Were A Rich Man', unless I'm very much mistaken. Which is more than likely. To be honest though, you really don't need to know who sings what on here. My very favourite number is 'Macavity: The Mystery Cat' and the lady singing it does a truly amazing job. Would it really help me to know who she is? Or, on the other side of the coin, do I really want to know the identity of the lady who, in my humble opinion, utterly mangles 'Summer Nights'? I probably wouldn't recognise the names of half the performers anyway. At least this way I can judge them all equally. I don't care if you are Elaine Paige: if you start hurting my ears, the fast-forward button is coming for you. I could always look at the information that comes up when I put one of these discs into my computer and play it I suppose, because that would probably tell me who composed it as well as who is singing. I hadn't thought of that. No - I still don't want to know.

This version of 'Macavity: The Mystery Cat' is seriously good. In fact, had I known how good it is, I would probably have bought this entire box-set purely to get my hands on that one track. And then there's 'I Got Rhythm', which runs for the best part of eight minutes and is just pure fun. I have had to stop playing that one in the car actually, because it was only ever going to be a matter of time before all that tap-dancing really swept me away. I wouldn't have minded crashing the car into a hedge so much, but I think abandoning my car in the slow lane of the M25 and then soft shoe shuffling my way along the hard shoulder all the way to Junction 28 might have attracted rather too much unwanted attention. And I came pretty close to doing it, too.
on 11 January 2010
Was purchased as a Christmas present for an older relative - Am told it is fab as it has all the old musical songs which you can sing a long to and brings back a lot of lovely memories
on 4 March 2013
I would recommend this product to musical lovers. You definately get a lot for your money with 100 songs. However, I found that I do not love every song on the CD and I would have liked more Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables, Chicago, as well as Rock of Ages which does not appear on the CD. However, it does give a good range of songs and offers the most famous songs from a wide range of musicals. I have really enjoyed getting to know the songs I didn't know already.
on 19 January 2014
I was initially surprised to find that many of the tracks didn't feature the expected/main artist (eg Michael Crawford, Michael Ball, Jason Donovan etc).

Although, perhaps for the price, this is to be expected.

HOWEVER, PLEASE DON'T DISCOUNT THIS GREAT VALUE & FANTASTIC BOX SET.

It features some fabulous performances and nearly all are cast recordings from major West End and Broadway shows.

It sounds fantastic...and breathes new life into some classic songs that we're all familiar with. It features outstanding performances and outstanding value.

If you like Radio Two's 'Friday Night Is Music Night', buy this...you won't be disappointed.