Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 November 2014
I was a bit dubious about buying this book for my Kindle, as the one review of this book on Amazon said that they'd repeatedly been unable to download it in fully.
I'm glad to say that whatever that problem was it seems to be fixed at the time of writing, in November 2014. This gem of a book, containing the full 100 hieroglyphs zipped down onto my Kindle with no fuss at all !
Each hieroglyph in the book is carefully chosen by the author to show a different aspect of the thinking and philosophy of the Egyptian culture. Each hieroglyph has one or two pages of fascinating explanations that range from historical beginnings, phonetic sounds, philosophy behind the meaning, and often how they relate to other signs and are used in conjunction with each other to make complex new meanings.
This is a educational book- but not a dry, scholarly tome. It's rich and diverse, with unexpected and entertaining facts scattered throughout. For example, how to recognise a Libyan in a tomb painting- he'll be the chap wearing a single ostrich plume. I learnt that the Egyptians had many tales and beliefs around water, but fire seemed to hold almost no interest for them. Maybe that wasn't so surprising considering what a big part the annual Nile innundation had on their lives.
I throughly recommend this book, and while it won't make you into an hiroglyphics expert overnight, it will give you a good starting point, a window into the Egyptian's world, and an intriguing read.
There are also several contemporary annecdotes in the book. I'll leave you with part of a love poem from the New Kingdom quoted in this book "If I kiss her and her lips are open, then I am happy, even without beer" !!!
on 24 February 2013
I have purchased the kindle version of this book 3 times down and every time i have only got three of the 100 Hieroglyphs. I have complained about this on every occasion but no one has been able to fix the problem though accepting nit it not my fault. The three glyphs that i have received have been superb.