on 14 May 2017
Its of course a classic and an amazing read,timeless....for me...
Bought for my kid,just starting high school and ....they cant relate to it in any way,which i expected,and worse they cant understand the language its written in...
I remember reading this book when in primary myself,as back in the 70ies this was children's classic literature.
These days however its a different story it seems.
Language has been seriously simplified....
on 4 May 2017
I first saw this film as an eleven year old. It had a big effect on me. I loved the film, and the main actors, Kirk Douglas and James Mason. It was/is a superb movie. I bought the DVD for my grandson, aged 6. he loved it, and has seen it at least six times, making about 10 times for me! An excellent movie from Hollywood's Golden Era, based on an idea by Jules Verne, a genius of imagination and latter day prophet!
on 16 March 2013
I've seen countless versions of this on film and television over the years., but it's the first time I've sat down and read the original book.!!
What a read.!! With an imagination and creativity way ahead of his time, it's a riveting story with an eclectic mix of characters and personalities which often led me to wonder the outcome of the next page, yet alone the final chaper.
Only one critisim, and I'll probably get shot for this, Mr Verne paid too much detail,at times, to listing and describing flora and fauna, page after page often distracting me from the unravelling adventure.
All in all fantastic, but still preferred The Mysterious Island !
on 26 May 2012
I love early science fiction and have read so much H.G. Wells that I thought I should give this a try.

The story itself is actually pretty good. I really felt that the settings felt a little futuristic even all this time later, although possibly a little steam-punkish because the primary power of the day was of course iron and steam!

Verne wanders into too much description of the classifications of fish and the characters do seem to catch and eat every living thing they come across. Those parts were a little dull, but the main story is really quite gripping with some fantastic 'how will they get out alive?' moments!

I haven't quite finished the book because I am a lazy reader, but for this price the entertainment value is unbeatable.
on 1 February 2014
I bought this book being an admirer of the things I've heard of Vernes work but never actually reading it. I decided that enough was enough and I had to read a classic.

I wasn't disappointed. He is clearly a fantastic writer.

If you want a book that doesn't dwell on the details this isn't for you. He can elongate any story which now days would take only a few paragraphs to explain but somehow that doesn't matter because the way clarity in which he describes just makes it worth it.

A book I will read again, and again.
on 9 December 2013
I loved this book as a kid, so when I came accross it I had to reread again, at this point they have the nice deluxe binding from Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classic Collection, so I would recommend that one as it just looks nicer on the outside.

But the story is a classic, from start to end, and you dont feel that it is over 100 years ago that it was written it still reads well.
on 16 May 2017
This is a book club choice which I was not at all sure about but at 49p for the Kindle version, it seemed churlish to not at least give it a go. It turns out that I am really enjoying it. The style of writing whilst obviously dated, is lyrical, eloquent and extremely easy to read. The story is entertaining and keeps you hooked.
on 27 January 2018
Such a lovely book ....It was a Christmas gift and the recipient loved it too !
on 5 January 2013
I saw the film as a child so decided to read the book. What an adventure! I couldn't remember if the three men got off the Nautilus and, at certain points in the story, I rather hoped they'd stay. But all good journeys come to an end. It is with great excitement that I read the story and know that those who enjoy a good yarn will definitely appreciate this one.
on 8 April 2016