Can I use this modem without plugging it into the telephone port? I just need the internet for my room at university
asked by Mr. S. F. Hamid on 26 Feb 2014
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 answers
A
you need to give more information. If you don't have a telephone line, this probably isn't the product you want: it will work as a network 'hub' but it's overkill for that.
Amazon Customer answered on 26 Feb 2014
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Hi - in a word 'no'. It is an adsl2+ modem with one port for the telephone micorfilter (RJ45) and 1 wired port (ethernet) to connect to your laptop or device with an ethernet port (Note: MacBook Airs and most tablets/smartphones do not normally have an ethernet port). There is no wireless capability. I think that you need to find out what's available in your room at Uni. or what's nearby. I'm sure you will get your internet connection via a University wireless access point or hot-spot somewhere nearby e.g. BT wifi or Sky wifi. Hope that helps.
Ciren Jules answered on 26 Feb 2014
Comment (1) | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Hi,

This modem would be useless without a telephone port. So,no it won't work. If you're on campus they probably give you a Ethernet port in the room or you could geta 3G modem. In any case this model is no good, your best best is a wireless router with cable/3g support.

Asus rt66u is great but expensive, but ignore anything "adsl" as that will need a phone line.

Hope that helps!
Matt O answered on 26 Feb 2014
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
No
JB answered on 18 Aug 2014

A
What is the best ADSL2+ Ethernet Modem to use with a Asus RT-AC87U Dual Band Wireless Broadband Router
Mr M. answered on 14 Dec 2014
‹ Previous   1   Next ›