Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 May 2011 18:00:06 BDT
Greenslade says:
Having read everything on my bookshelf I decided to pop down to my local bookshop and pick up a fantasy book or three to tide me over until something was published in the various ongoing stories I am following - In the case of grrm this can be a bloody long wait. I wasn't looking for anything spetacular,just a decent little story to escape into for a week or so.
Now I realise that at my age I should know better but I let my eye be taken by a rather nice cover, sophisticated even. The book in question was called The magicians guild. Like the fool that I obviously am I assumed that,as this book looked so good and was not in the childrens section it was an adult fantasy book and not some drivel for ten year olds! Well imagine my surprise when I began to read the damn thing.
I guess I learned my lesson but what really annoys me are the gushing five star reviews on this web site! Jesus wept, how old are you people? This is the kind of book that makes my friends laugh at me when they find out that I read fantasy. I need you to explain to me what an adult gets from reading this kind of stuff? I just do not understand it.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Aug 2012 15:31:50 BDT
A. Phillips says:
Well this is a bit late to reply but no one has done so, so i thought i would.
For starters I read this book as a teenager and am still only 19 so can't comment on why adults, who feel their age makes them unable to enjoy what is supposedly for younger age groups. But First of all when this book was using its early covers it was infact in both the kids section and adults section of the book store i went to. It has the darker edges of slavery in the latter books, the Civil dispute and idea that a government willingly chose to throw out its poorer classes when it was getting over populated in a winter and with the grain shortages pushed there strongest defense from other nations onto their own people and has kept this police state ever since sending their majority population own into cramped areas where there is plague starvation and is critically without the law except the thieves law. creating a political gap in society that makes both sides believe each other are heartless murder with any respect for humanity. And the growth of a girl that was born to one side of the argument, family pushes for security of the other, is thrust away and then hunted by them, to what end she can only believe the worst.
Now ok, I read this at a young age but have kept up with the entire series and at some point will read the Traitor Queen the latest that i have yet to get around to. But to be honest what can't you enjoy of such a book. what does a book need to be ADULT meterial in your eyes. Death? Sex? Blood, Gore? What? All i know is that, you seem to be looking for a book that will show your maturity to your friends, and the only person I have ever met that felt they needed to show her maturity to her friends was 10yrs old. A mature person isn't somebody who feels they have to remove all the ChIlDiSh things from their lives, but those that can take pleasures in all forms and still happily work their lives away to better themselves and others.
Now I know I probably don't act as mature as you, but loosen up. Or take a quote from Terry Pratchett "The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head" now if there is a fantasy writer anyone can enjoy. At least that's the opinion of a 19yr old, sometimes known as a young adult. Yet lots of "wise" adults seem to try and stay as young and outside of adulthood as any underage teenager tries to pretend to be one. So I ask you explain to me what what makes you think you and your friends are adults?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  4 May 2011
Latest post:  14 Aug 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Magicians' Guild: The Black Magician Trilogy Book 1
The Magicians' Guild: The Black Magician Trilogy Book 1 by Trudi Canavan (Mass Market Paperback - 1 Feb 2004)
3.9 out of 5 stars   (275)