Shop now Shop now Shop now Up to 50% off Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Fireworks GNO Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Bundle for Kids Listen in Prime Shop Now Shop now

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Aug 2009 14:21:27 BDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 21 Sep 2009 11:49:34 BDT
Tc says:
But dogs are far removed from wolves!! Why not look at dogs when studying dogs! Simple hey? He is not a qualified behaviourist so why do we trust him to advise us on a dogs behaviour? The book is full of incorrect facts based on his opinions. It's about time he took a few years off and caught up with the real world by reading the latest evidence and not relying on theories!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Dec 2009 23:19:46 GMT
G. Grierson says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 5 Feb 2010 08:43:52 GMT
Tc says:
This has little to do with training! Cesar bases his understanding on looking at wolves! Not even wild wolves. Get with the real world and start looking at domestic dogs and how they learn (i.e positive reinforcement).

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Oct 2010 16:24:26 BDT
Johnny99 says:
I have to agree. Dogs ancestors are wolves just as (perhaps) ours are apes. The alpha wolf terminology was concocted to support the theories of hierarchy in CAPTIVE wolves. Recent research into non captive wolves suggests that this hierarchy status actually changes throughout the season without any friction in the pack. The Alpha terminology just means that that particular wolf has the first choice in everything. Wolf packs are generally family groups with the alpha pair being the breeding pair. The Alpha wolf does not get into aggression to emphasise "dominance" I've not read one validated piece of research that witnesses an alpha wolf chastising or insisting that they walk in front, pass through gaps (doors) before lower ranking wolves. Infact, the so called alpha roll (that Cesar uses) is purely an offered submissive gesture by lower ranking wolves (or dogs) to keep the peace. It is NEVER forcefully put upon by the alpha wolf. As for eating first......... what a lot of balloney... watch any wolf documentary and the pack eats together (when food is plentiful) Keep the "pecking order" term to hens where it originated and belongs!
Of course positive punishment interventions, such as alpha rolls, leash corrections, choke collars work in certain circumstances but negative punishment and positive reinforcement works in all circumstances.
My concern here is that people unwittingly train their dog using Cesar's methods and ideology, despite being told not to (TV disclaimer). Why is this? Because it can be down right dangerous to physically correct a fearful aggressive dog.
Much better to train your dog to have good manners using positive reinforcement than to train it having fear of unpleasant consequences.
BTW I trained dogs with these methods for over 25 years before I crossed over to positive training, so I speak from extensive experience.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  5 Aug 2009
Latest post:  22 Oct 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions