Customer Discussions > Making Money (Discworld Novels) forum

what was the first pratchett book you read

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 63 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 Aug 2007 15:29:13 BDT
Su says:
My first was the Hogfather - I read it and was hooked. The next was Eric and after that I had to have them all. How about you?

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Aug 2007 15:47:41 BDT
My first was Men at Arms, my favourite is Thief of Time ,closely followed by A Hat Full of Sky,Ive read them all at least three times except Colour of Magic which I didnt like at all

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Aug 2007 18:41:04 BDT
Su says:
That's a coincidence I don't like the Colour of Magic either - I find it really hard to read.

I love the Wintersmith, I've just finished it (again) and I'm now back on to Going Postal, funnily enough I've gone off Death at the moment and he was the one I started with.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Aug 2007 16:34:46 BDT
Snap I loved Wintersmith, and Thud must also rate a mention oh and Feet of Clay but I could go on forever

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Sep 2007 17:35:22 BDT
Last edited by the author on 1 Sep 2007 17:36:22 BDT
Sean Foster says:
My first was in about 1990 and it was the colour of magic. I loved the quirky humor and was hooked. I quickly read everything that was published in the diskworld series up to that point. I rediscovered an almost child at christmas anticipation of the next book. I think I've now read all the novels he's done, including the kids stuff. I'd recommend reading them in order as you get a little extra in seeing the character development.

If I need a bit of a lift because I'm having a bad time I can always rely on feeling a bit better for having read on of Pratchetts. My favorite changes and often it becomes the one I'm reading now, some are better than others but I don't think that there is a bad read in the bunch.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Sep 2007 13:38:52 BDT
Alex Wilson says:
My first was Colour of Magic, and then it was any i could get my hands on. I read Strata and Dark Side of the Sun alot now, which is strange considering i hated them at first, but i think everyone who likes his discowlrd series should have a got at them

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Sep 2007 04:13:57 BDT
RH says:
I read Sourcery first, must have been in the mid 90's, then went back to the start and worked my way through. I actually think Hogfather is a bit disappointing but love most of the rest. My favourite (as judged by most-thumbed-appearance) is Reaper Man.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Sep 2007 11:40:54 BDT
GarmR says:
Equal Rites in 1991. Someone had left it on the bookshelf of a remote hostel in Donegal. Love at first syllable.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Sep 2007 12:44:27 BDT
Equal Rites, I think - in Swedish! The library had a couple of books translated to Swedish and my English was still a bit shaky at the time... However, by the time I'd finished the ones they had in Swedish and I found some more books in English I was totally hooked and wasn't going to let a piddly little thing like being rubbish at reading English stop me. I've never looked back - needless to say I own the entire series now and have lost count of how many times I've read them. I think I can definitely thank TP for a much improved English vocabulary!

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Sep 2007 00:21:31 BDT
Small Gods. Coincidentally a good one to start with as it's a stand-alone one, although I did wonder what Widdershins was... (along with other oddments) Then I had to start from the beginning. They keep getting better and better. My favourite was Thief of Time, then Going Postal, now it's Thud. Still think Small Gods is one of the better ones, but maybe that's just me being sentimemtal.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Sep 2007 13:37:08 BDT
My first Pratchett was the original edition of The Carpet People. My local library had it from new and, although I don't know the exact date, I assume that I first read it shortly afterward. A few years later the library sold off unwanted stock and I was fortunate enough to buy it for 15p.

I've tried to re-read it as an adult but, frankly, its not a great book. Despite this its probably still my favourite Pratchett as it did so much to shape my reading tastes.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Sep 2007 21:00:51 BDT
I didn't really like the Tiffany Aching ones, but wintersmith is the more tediouds of the two. My first was The |Wyrd Sisters age 9(8 yrs ago) i know iown all of them-they are fab dab, my friends know not to get me started, as i am obsessed.(i missed the jamboree this year, sob!)

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Sep 2007 00:00:33 BDT
widdershins is clockwise and diesel anticlockwise before we had clocks

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Sep 2007 09:30:17 BDT
I actually was lucky and started out with the Colour of Magic then The Light Fantastic. It has been wonderful to see how the stories have developed, particularly as they went from what is essentially slapstick to something darker, more defined. As a pure aside, I think my favourite characters, though, are Vimes and Death. Not sure what that says about me!

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Sep 2007 12:25:13 BDT
cat slave says:
I thought my first book was pyramids - borrowed from my brother and returned years later when I finally got my own copy - then realised I already had his cat book (very accurate on cat character in my experience). Then read all the discworld paperbacks in order (big fan of the luggage!, also of Death and Granny Weatherwax.), read everything else Pratchett and was soon having to wait for the hard backs. No real favourite book - though I do go back to the early Rincewind and witch books most often.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Sep 2007 09:00:38 BDT
my first was the hogfather years ago bought it in the hospital cos i was bored then men at arms, the rest is history I have them all as well but the best books are any with the city watch in......pure class!

Mike Leighton

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Sep 2007 09:28:59 BDT
Pyramids, unfortunately. I think it's about the worst of the series and it was a few years before I was persuaded to read Mort and realised most of them were a lot better.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Sep 2007 09:50:26 BDT
charjah says:
The Colour of Magic... I was hooked immediately and now I can't wait to read Making Money, which is due to arrived this weekend.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Sep 2007 12:52:23 BDT
The Colour of Magic a long time ago was the first - loved it. Loved all the following but was around lords and ladies his books started to change and it was a long time before i settled into the new style (i still read them all though!). Loved Going Postal.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Sep 2007 14:37:30 BDT
Men At Arms - My favourites are Thud and Lords and Ladies (if i had to pick favourites that is - very hard to do)

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Sep 2007 21:52:08 BDT
Carpe Jugulum.
Yeth, Marthter.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Sep 2007 23:22:52 BDT
Started reading 'Colour of Magic' in paperback. I have the complete Pratchett collection in first edition hardback from Equal Rites onward. Although I have to say 'Mort' is my favourite of all time.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Sep 2007 08:47:49 BDT
Hera says:
'Colour of Magic' was my first Pratchett and I enjoyed it. However, I couldn't reread it as some of his others are much better (any that include Vimes, the witches or Moist von Lipwig).

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Sep 2007 21:38:15 BDT
Mrs. T. Sims says:
colour of magic was my first one but mort and guards guards are my favourites

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2007 09:09:49 BDT
Al Dixon says:
Actually it's the other way round; Widdershins is anti-clockwise, or to be more accurate, anti-sunwise (Northern hemisphere only) and Deosil is clockwise (or sunwise).

I remember that when 'The Colour of Magic' came out all my friends were urging me to read it. Naturally, being a fully-paid up member of the Awkward Squad I resisted their cajolery. I eventually succumbed to 'Equal Rites' a few years later and was immediately hooked. I'm rather glad that I didn't read CoM first - when I did finally get around to it I found it a very inferior book, and it is likely that I would not have continued with the series.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  59
Total posts:  63
Initial post:  28 Aug 2007
Latest post:  10 Nov 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Making Money (Discworld Novels)
Making Money (Discworld Novels) by Terry Pratchett (Hardcover - Oct 2007)
4.2 out of 5 stars   (174)