what are the best apocalyspe and post-apocalypse novels ever?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Jun 2009 11:27:05 BDT
A. Craig says:
I've just re-read this novel, alongside Liz Jensen's The Rapture (just published) and it's reminded me how interesting the genre is. Any more suggestions - apart from John Wyndham?

Posted on 8 Jul 2009 18:11:58 BDT
I've been reading and re reading A Canticle for Leibowitz since high school and still like it, but find the religion slant sometimes a bit much. Stephen King's The Stand I still enjoy also. The 12 Monkeys, I am Legend, Cloud Atlas, The Road (very depressing) Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke, a book called "Dust" where all plant life disappears as the title indicates, that one was really frightening, but can't remember the author....... loads of others too but I can't think of the names just now.... I love stories where everyone dies in the end ! LOL. I've never read The Death of Grass but will definitely do so.

Posted on 8 Jul 2009 18:16:38 BDT
Have just remembered The Book of Dave by Will Self.... I can't write a recommendation as I haven't got around to actually reading it, the dialogue is difficult to read as it is, well, post-apocalyptic and there are lots of arcane words I didn't have the patience to figure out... But I will make another stab at it on holiday.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Aug 2009 15:05:35 BDT
Bascule says:
I read a book many years ago called Dust, by Charles Pellegrino, that might be the one you mention.

Posted on 24 Aug 2009 20:04:54 BDT
M. W. Stone says:
For me George R Stewart's "Earth Abides" will always be the one - though it skips over the actual disaster rather quickly to get straight into the aftermath.

Posted on 31 Aug 2009 15:01:19 BDT
Murf61 says:
Of recent novels, The Road has to be one of the best. Very stark in both the writing and the story but powerful nonetheless. I also rate Stephen Baxter's 'Flood' with it's sequel 'Ark'.

Classics have to include 'Day of the Triffids' by John Wyndham, 'The Postman' by David Brin and 'The Drowned World' by the late, great J G Ballard.

I recently picked up 'The Death of Grass' and loved it so now I am also checking out post-apocalypse type novels.

'The Stand' by Stephen King (very underrated!),

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Sep 2009 17:55:34 BDT
Me read says:
Swan Song by Robert McCammon. Very, very similar to Stephen King's 'The Stand', but only in subject. End of the world after nuclear attack, the few survivors are slowly banding together...some on the side of good-some on the side of bad, the bad is very, very bad, the good. are very, very....well, you get the idea.

Great book.

Posted on 28 Oct 2009 10:41:28 GMT
R. J. Cross says:
I've read Earth Abides, Flood, the Stand and of course the day of the Triffids. There was quite a good sequel to the day of the triffids by Simon Clarke the horror writer called the Night of the Triffids. Worth a look!

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Oct 2009 21:26:12 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 29 Oct 2009 21:27:04 GMT]

Posted on 29 Oct 2009 21:29:00 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 29 Oct 2009 21:30:29 GMT]

Posted on 30 Oct 2009 11:01:41 GMT
R. J. Cross says:
All time favourite is The Postman by David Bryn! But a very memorable book is Ozone by Paul Theroux, a difficult book to start with but it will haunt you, worth sticking with it!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xa6b2387c)

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  17 Jun 2009
Latest post:  30 Oct 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Death of Grass (English Library)
Death of Grass (English Library) by John Christopher (Paperback - 30 Nov 2004)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (109)