Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Sep 2011 09:54:03 BDT
Kaneda says:
so there was a release date, now there isn't one... i don't like the sound of it, i hope they're not cancelling it!

Posted on 21 Sep 2011 11:24:00 BDT
Last edited by the author on 17 Jan 2012 23:26:02 GMT
Canuck says:
So do I. I love that movie and I'd love to own it on blu-ray. If they do cancel it, we still have the Japanese release with English dub/subs and encoded region A and B.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jan 2012 14:48:01 GMT
T. Roth says:
Can someone please tell me if the subtitles are white or yellow. I will not buy if they are yellow. Thanks in advance.

Posted on 17 Jan 2012 23:26:53 GMT
Last edited by the author on 17 Jan 2012 23:28:21 GMT
Canuck says:
The subs are white with a black outline.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jan 2012 23:54:51 GMT
T. Roth says:
Thank you! Order is placed.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jul 2013 15:45:07 BDT
PoochJD says:
Why would you not buy a film, if it has yellow-coloured subtitles? (Unless, you had a form of colour-blindness, that is, that might prevent you from reading yellow-coloured subtitles.) Sorry if that seems an odd question, but it was an odd statement to make, T. Roth.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jul 2013 15:56:23 BDT
T. Roth says:
The yellow colour is an intrusion and disturbs the original colour scheme. Subtitles should be as discreet as possible and white is the only acceptable colour.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jul 2013 14:07:34 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Jul 2013 14:10:16 BDT
PoochJD says:
There's just one problem - that answer is complete hogwash!

There are plenty of times when coloured subtitles are preferential, and even necessary, because a film contains too many pale or light-coloured scenes, whereby white subtitles simply will not work. Yellow/pale yellow is the next best colour to use, and that info comes from the RNIB (Royal National Institute for the Blind), and the BDA (British Deaf Association) - organisations who both know a thing or two about these things!

Two of the most famous examples of white subtitles becoming useless are during Wong Kar-Wai's IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE and the infamous "Fade-To-White" version of LADY VENGEANCE, which - as the name implies - gradually gets paler and paler until the final scenes!

Both films had large amounts of white-coloured English Subtitles that couldn't be read, rendering them useless, and an intensely frustrating experience to viewers who couldn't follow the film! You only need to take one look at the numerous 1-Star Reviews for both films, where people have bought the DVD's or seen the movies at the cinema, and couldn't follow them, because of the problematic "white" subtitles!

In theory, by your own analogy, any subtitles could be considered an "intrusion" and a disruption to the original colour scheme, so your argument is weak at best. Subtitles should be clear, legible and be free from all grammatical and/or linguistic errors. If they aren't, then being in white and "as discrete as possible" won't help a viewer read what's being said, nor understand the movie!

The whole point of having subtitles is to aid the viewer. If they don't, then there's no point in having them in the first place!

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jul 2013 14:13:36 BDT
Kaneda says:
I have no problem with white subtitles on any UK Ghibli blu rays. But American yellow subtitles are simply way too big, ugly and distracting. Simple as that.

Posted on 3 Jul 2013 14:47:49 BDT
T. Roth says:
No need to call someones opinion "hogwash". That is rude. Yes, all subtitles are an intrusion, more or less, and yellow subs are more! White with a black outline is preferable. The American release of Grave of the Fireflies is a good example of how a glaring yellow sub is ruining the picture. Horrible.

Posted on 3 Jul 2013 15:06:29 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Jul 2013 15:09:26 BDT
PoochJD says:
Kaneda - That's your personal opinion, but as I said, there are people far more intelligent and in-the-know on this issue than any of us in this thread, who disagree with you on the issue of yellow subtitles! The colour has been intentionally and internationally approved, and endorsed, as being a good choice for subtitles on TV shows, DVD's and Blu-Ray's for the reasons I've already outlined. The other option is to have white subtitles with black bars behind them. And they are far more "intrusive" and "disruptive" (to use T. Roth's terms) than yellow subtitles will ever be!

T.Roth - Sorry that you felt my labelling your comment "hogwash" was rude. But the simple fact is, your aspertion that only white subtitles are acceptable and correct, is factually inaccurate, incorrect, mistaken, erroneous, faulty, amiss, misunderstood, improper. Or, to put it simply, it's wholly and unashamedly wrong!

Go rent either of the two films I've mentioned, watch them, and then come back here and tell me (and others in this thread) that all of the "white subtitles" were 100% legible, always readable, and are the best and only option!

Posted on 3 Jul 2013 15:18:55 BDT
T. Roth says:
I suspect that you, PoochJD, have far to much leisure time. You are aggressive and rude. I merely wrote what I find disturbing, I wasnīt stating a fact about readability for people with weak eyes. Again, I find yellow subtitles disturbing and I choose not to view films with them. That canīt be wrong. If you like them, ok I couldnīt care less. This discussion is hereby ended for me.

Posted on 3 Jul 2013 16:17:24 BDT
Kaneda says:
Pooch, so if I understand you correctly, people in Europe are not that intelligent because they approved smaller and white subtitles? :D Actually US Ghibli editions are the ONLY blu rays I have with large yellow subtitles, and my collection is close to 400 titles. 99,9% of them with white subtitles. ;)

Posted on 4 Jul 2013 15:14:46 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Jul 2013 15:19:51 BDT
PoochJD says:
@ T.Roth: Now who's getting testy?! As for being aggressive and rude, well that's your opinion. It still doesn't change the fact that white-coloured subtitles are not always ideal, and on this subject, you are wrong! As for calling them "disturbing", that's the oddest description I've ever known! Still, if that's what you want to think, fine.

@ Kaneda: You're clearly deliberately misquoting me. I never said anything about people in Europe not being intelligent, because they approved smaller white subtitles, so please don't try and claim that I did.

What I said was: "there are people far more intelligent and in-the-know on this issue than any of us in this thread, who disagree with you on the issue of yellow subtitles", which was a comment on the fact that staff who work with blind and partially-sighted people (and those who are deaf or hard-of-hearing) at the RNIB and the BDA know far more about correct and appropriate subtitling formats, than I, or T. Roth or yourself.

They are specially-trained people who help to make laws about how much film and TV product has to be subtitled, the size of the fonts, the colours of the subtitle tracks, etc. So, yes, they do know more than any of us, because they are people who help create legislation that deals with subtitling on DVD's and Blu-Rays!

Do you work for the RNIB, or the BDA? I don't, and I'm sure neither T.Roth or yourself does either. However, I have seen the legislation that exists, so I do know what I'm talking about. Whether you believe me or not, is your prerogative. As for your collection of "close to 400 titles", well knock me sideways with a feather. I've got almost 1200 titles and counting! And, yes, 99.9% of them do have white subtitles, but that doesn't mean that yellow subtitles are verboten!

They are used, and I have films with small white subtitles, and large white subtitles. I have films with small yellow subtitles, and large yellow subtitles. I even have anime with multi-coloured subtitles too! So what's your point?

The only real point is that yellow subtitles aren't "disturbing". They aren't uncommon, and there is often a reason why they are used. If T. Roth doesn't want to accept that, then (s)he is fine to remain ignorant on that issue. But it doesn't change the fact that (s)he is wrong on it. Refusing to buy a film that comes with yellow subtitles is bordering on infantile. Would T.Roth also refuse to buy a Blu-Ray that came in green packaging, rather than Blue?

Subtitles should be clear and legible, irrespective of the colour, but T.Roth clearly believes that only white subtitles will do, and any other colour is heresy! More fool them!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  11 Sep 2011
Latest post:  4 Jul 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Whisper Of The Heart [Blu-ray]
Whisper Of The Heart [Blu-ray] by Ashley Tisdale (Blu-ray - 2012)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (79)