US version has 10 framable prints of Rowling's illustrations - UK's dont

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 Oct 2008 02:40:45 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Oct 2008 02:56:15 BDT
Look at the product features of the book on this page. Then head over to the amazon.com page for this book. Compare. They get 10 ready-for-framing prints of J.K. Rowling's illustrations and we dont. They even have it as an additional line in the main description (which is otherwise exactly the same as our UK description). It says:

"As a special gift for fans, the Collector's edition also includes a set of 10 ready-for-framing prints of J.K. Rowling's illustrations, enclosed in a velvet-lined pocket in the lid of the outer case."

So why are we not getting this? I'm feeling very very jealous now! There is a velvet lined pocket under the text book cover lid to hold these prints. I doubt I would actually frame them but I do want to have them! I feel slightly robbed :( Any thoughts on this?

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Oct 2008 09:42:34 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Oct 2008 09:58:26 BDT
Maybe we are getting this- amazon over here have been a bit slow on things, for example, the US had release date delivery before the UK did. I thought all the CE's were going to be the same, but if it's true, it's not fair in one way, and considering JK Rowling is British, we should be having the special prints, although realistically, so no one feels left out, everyone should have the same. Just had a little thought, they've never actually had a clear image of what the text book's front cover looks like on the inside, so maybe it was meant as a surprise, which if it was, i'll be very sad :( I just think amazon are being a bit slow to update over here. Still looking forward to the book though!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Oct 2008 10:50:29 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Oct 2008 10:50:48 BDT
R. Manor says:
Considering that they both have the same ISBN, I think it is unlikely that they have different features.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Oct 2008 13:02:42 BDT
Here is product features from the US Amazon:

"Collector's Edition Product Features:
* All five fairy tales from the original The Tales of Beedle the Bard
* Outer case disguised as a wizarding textbook from the Hogwarts library
* 10 ready-for-framing prints of J.K. Rowling's illustrations
* Exclusive reproduction of J.K. Rowling's handwritten introduction
* 10 new illustrations by J.K. Rowling not included in the Standard Edition or the original handcrafted edition
* Velvet bag embroidered with J.K. Rowling's signature
* Metal skull, corners, and clasp
* Replica gemstones
* Emerald ribbon "

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Oct 2008 02:01:22 BDT
psn: tqfan says:
it doesn't surprise me that the american's will get better than us. they always do.

amazon can be pretty poor on some things. take amazon.com's mp3 downloads. we uk users can't purchase these, but we can purchase anything else from amazon.com... con? when i asked amazon.co.uk when they'd get with the times and sell mp's, the answer was... we don't know.

although, has the uk page for this book not been updated with this? i did just see mention of 10 extra illustrations not available in the standard edition, or the original. could these be the same things??

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Oct 2008 03:39:27 BDT
@TQFAN, no that's not the same thing. "10 new illustrations by J.K. Rowling" are in the CE for both UK and US which as you say are not in the standard edition or original. But the CE on Amazon.com have "10 ready-for-framing prints of J.K. Rowling's illustrations" which is not mentioned anywhere in the Amazon.co.uk description. The Amazon.com description also says there is a velvet lined pocket under the cover for these prints. I did email Amazon a week ago but havent heard anything so I suppose this will remain a mystery until we open the book cover ourselves ;)

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Oct 2008 16:46:25 BDT
MS says:
I emailed amazon on this topic, and it transpires that:

"Thank you for contacting Amazon.co.uk with your enquiry. After looking into your enquiry, I have checked and found that "The Tales of Beedle the Bard, Collector's Edition (Offered Exclusively by Amazon) (Hardcover)" currently not includes "10 framable prints of Rowling's illustrations" in UK version as US version . I understand that sometimes the amount of information we display can make deciding on an item difficult, unless you already know something about the product. Our editorial staff are constantly working on increasing the information we provide about each item as it becomes available to us. However, the information listed for this product on our website is all the publisher has passed along to us."

So, unless it is misleadingly displayed by the publisher, the UK version won't include these prints.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Oct 2008 00:33:07 BDT
Well done MS! I sent an email too, I wonder why they never replied to me. But that's an honest and direct reply from Amazon. Not the answer we want to hear though! But at least an honest one.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Oct 2008 10:39:19 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Oct 2008 12:32:50 BDT
MS says:
It's still possible that we will get these prints, as amazon seem to hint that they don't have all the infromation available. (Does the UK and US versions have the same publisher?)
Also, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out we do get them, as JK is British (mentioned before I think), and insisted that Warner Bros used a British cast for the films, and filmed in solely British locations. I'm sure she wouldn't allow the Americans to have those pieces of Potter merchandise and not us.

Another question- does TTOBTB have golden gilt (I think that's how you say it) on the page edges? That's what I saw on the US site 'spin' feature.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Oct 2008 13:39:28 BDT
M. Young says:
"However, the information listed for this product on our website is all the publisher has passed along to us."
But Amazon are in effect the publishers, so it sounds like the answer came from someone in sales who didn't know the full story. Incidentally the original CHLG talks of 3 editions, Bloomsbury, Scholastic and Amazon, which implies the US and UK collector's editions will be the same.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Oct 2008 20:17:33 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Oct 2008 20:18:00 BDT
To be honest
I don't really mind
I want to get this for the book it self
It's so pretty :P

and because of the money going to the Children's Voice Campaign
If it wasn't for that
I wouldn't be spending this much on it

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Oct 2008 22:16:06 BDT
MS says:
Well said!;)

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Oct 2008 12:27:41 BDT
Yeah, nicely said, except if the money wasnt going to charity I will still buy it! The fact that profits are going to charity simply makes the purchase sweeter for me. But I still want the extra prints too being the greedy jealous fella that I am ;)

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Oct 2008 16:00:30 BDT
I checked with Amazon.co.uk today and this was the reply:

Dear Customer
Thank you for contacting Amazon.co.uk with your enquiry

On checking with the relevant department regarding the item "The tales of Beadle the Bard" we can confirm you that the 10 ready to frame prints you are referring to is only meant for our Amazon.com customers.

This promotional offer is not available in Amazon.co.uk. website.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Thank your understanding and shopping with Amazon.co.uk.

Please let us know if this e-mail answered your question:

If yes, click here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/rsvp-y?c=tchvfdyf3249078847
If not, click here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/rsvp-n?c=tchvfdyf3249078847&q=ukff

Please note: this e-mail was sent from an address that cannot accept incoming e-mail.

To contact us about an unrelated issue, please visit the Help section of our website.

Warmest regards

Vignesh.T
Amazon.co.uk

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Oct 2008 19:35:31 BDT
Well done Nojy. I guess that wraps up this thread. I'm still excited for the book though! I'm Just jealous of our lucky US friends! But I wonder why they are getting that special bonus when the customers didn't even know they were getting these framable prints? From an Amazon point of view, it seems like an unnecessary extra cost to print/pack these prints and they don't advertise any other Amazon product.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Oct 2008 21:16:42 BDT
Well they are sending $100 on theirs
so that's pretty much 8 more then ours

Life shall go one :)

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Oct 2008 11:57:21 GMT
Didn't think of that! In fact, looking at the current exchange rate (1$=63p), they are effectively paying 13 more! Crikey, well looking at it that way, I am glad they are getting the prints now. In fact, they should get another Harry Potter book thrown in to balance things out, or ten frames to frame their prints :)

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Oct 2008 21:37:46 GMT
AB says:
I actually asked amazon.co.uk about this a couple of weeks ago, and the answer I got was that "I have checked our website for the 10 ready for framing prints and found that it comes with CE of Beedle the Bard". I am a bit confused about this as I cannot find this information on the website, but it does say quite clearly that the prints do come with the book also at http://amazon.co.uk.

Since I am not in the US or the UK I was wondering from where I should order the book - since the ISBN-number was the same I expected the book to come with the same extras. I have to admit that if that is not the case I will be a bit annoyed (although I will still enjoy the book).

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Oct 2008 15:36:54 GMT
Last edited by the author on 30 Oct 2008 17:55:42 GMT
Grey'um says:
I just placed an order for a copy from the US - might as well pay a bit extra to get a lot more. After all, if you are happy to spend 50 on a book you can have for 3'odd, what does it matter if you spend 60+?

Edit: Just read the text on the main page. It clearly states, "As a special gift for fans, the Collector's edition also includes a set of 10 ready-for-framing prints of J.K. Rowling's illustrations, enclosed in a velvet-lined pocket in the lid of the outer case."

I also just had this confirmed by Amazon UK by e-mail. Might leave the US order in place anyway just in case, not least because it will be nice to have my own copy anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Oct 2008 22:01:58 GMT
If you look at the product description it states that the prints are included with the UK edition.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Oct 2008 23:54:22 GMT
I hope the prints aren't a big disapointment

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Oct 2008 11:44:14 GMT
You're right guys, they just just added the "special gift for fans" line on the uk description! Woohoo. Interesting, though they haven't add to the Features list but that doesn't matter.

Edward, well the prints will be dissapointing if you expect great works of art! Jo's drawings are nevertheless very good and being Jo, I feel these prints are a very nice bonus and really glad that we will have them after all!

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2009 18:03:10 GMT
I received the ten prints in my copy, in an envelope inside the front cover.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jan 2009 13:37:32 GMT
Jovismash says:
I have to say guys, I'm from the UK, ordered my one this week which came today and I DID get the prints. They were in an envelope on the inside of the box that's shaped like a book.

I'M SOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY!! IT truly is amazing, money well spent for sure! So if you didn't get the prints guys, I think you should take it up with Amazon...

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jan 2009 20:33:03 GMT
spike says:
i got my prints too
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  15
Total posts:  29
Initial post:  8 Oct 2008
Latest post:  10 Aug 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions