transferring data from older versions

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Feb 2012 10:49:06 GMT
I have an extensive family tree created in Family Tree Maker 2006. Has anyone upgraded to 2012 from 2006? If so, did the data read into it OK?

Posted on 29 Mar 2012 11:46:39 BDT
hilwill says:
I am in the same position and would also appreciate the answer. Does the information have to be transferred manually?

Posted on 29 Mar 2012 13:22:31 BDT
Hi, as no one had answered my earlier question, I took a chance and ordered FTM 2012 anyway. The good news is that the data transferred across with no problems. I just loaded the 2006 files and they were changed to 2012 ones. Now I just have to work out how to use the new software....!!

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Apr 2012 13:39:04 BDT
maureen says:
I'm in the same position as you are...namely want to upgrade to 2012 from FTM 2006, can I ask if everything went OK? What did you get extra? There was some mention about 6 mos free access to FTM on-line records, would be interested in your experiences! Thanks for your time, regards m. wallace

Posted on 13 Apr 2012 13:55:34 BDT
Hi, as above, I found the files transferred quite naturally - I just accessed them from within the new software. It then stores them in a new directory so I think they would no longer read into FTM 2006, although I didnt try this as I didnt need to. The layout with the new software is quite different, relativelly easy to work out, but keep the manual to hand for a while. What I liked is that a leaf symbol appears next to your ancestors name, within your tree, which indicates that Ancestry has records which seem to match the person. So this makes web searching very easy. As part of this it tells you if someone else has published a tree which includes the same person - and you can communicate with them , or merge their info if you want. Hope this helps

Posted on 13 Apr 2012 19:37:20 BDT
maureen says:
Many thanks for the speedy reply, I have found your feed-back very helpful, I am still deciding whether to buy, probably will, thanks for the help!

Posted on 17 Sep 2012 15:09:26 BDT
I have FTM 2010 installed on my old laptop. I want to buy 2012 version to put on my new laptop. Do i just install the new program on my new laptop and restore the information from saved 2010 files on usb as I dont want to have to put all information in again. Will i have to install 2010 version on new laptop and upgrade to 2012 and if so can I install 2010 again ?

Can anyone help me with this please ?

Posted on 2 Mar 2013 12:43:39 GMT
PLS says:
Paul asks - my tree records are held via a Sunday Times Ancestory.co.uk. CD of 2006, will I be able to transfer these records to a downloaded 2012 version, should I buy
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  18 Feb 2012
Latest post:  2 Mar 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Family Tree Maker 2012 Platinum Edition (PC)
Family Tree Maker 2012 Platinum Edition (PC) by Avanquest Software (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
4.2 out of 5 stars (272)