Customer Discussions > The Hunger Games forum

Am I too old to enjoy this book?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 Mar 2012 20:01:19 BDT
ossian says:
Before everybody says "Yes, you can enjoy them at any age!" let me explain. I am not that old, I am a 21-year old student from Scotland, but I am worried that a book intended for teenagers might not hold my attention. I love the dystopian genre both film and books (Brazil is my favourite film), but I am used to reading more difficult novels, as I study literature at Uni.

What I want to ask is: are the characters, plot and writing style of "The Hunger Games" more simplistic (like a childrens' novel) or more complex (like an adult novel)?

Posted on 26 Mar 2012 22:07:07 BDT
Helen says:
Surely a book is either good or it isn't? Complex books can be dire, simple books brilliant. Buy it, read it and enjoy it.

Posted on 27 Mar 2012 12:07:43 BDT
I'm 33 and my friend at work is 41 and we both thought it was great !

Posted on 27 Mar 2012 22:29:05 BDT
Elin says:
Being 23 year old myself I have to say the plot, characters and writing style of the book are rather simplistic. I wouldn't say it's a children's novel (the content is too grim for that) but don't expect to be swept off your feet by vivid descriptions, well rounded characters and a complex plot. There is a lot of telling going on instead of showing. Basically you have to look at it as junk food. If you're looking for a book to kill a couple of hours with, you wouldn't do bad with THG. If you're looking for something more, you'll probably be disappointed.

Posted on 9 Apr 2012 04:44:47 BDT
ossian says:
Very helpful Elin! So THG is like those cool, but slightly cheesy, dystopian sci-fi films that I enjoy when I am in the mood for an
enjoyable but not too in-depth watch? I might give it a go, but it seems more like a borrow than a buy. Same for the film of the book.

Posted on 10 Apr 2012 08:58:52 BDT
Elin says:
You're welcome ossian! Well, it's not really 'cool' or flashy per se, but it is a nice snack when you're looking for one. I would borrow it, yes. That's what I did and I haven't felt the urge to read it again, unlike other books I enjoyed. I did like the movie a lot though. In it, they deal with a lot of problems the book had and ended up improving upon it. Most of that has to do with Jennifer Lawrence's performance, who is able to make Katniss much more believable than she ever came across in the novel. It's one of the few cases I prefer a movie over a book. But that's just my opinion of course.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Apr 2012 03:39:21 BDT
It's extremely cheesy, plot holes around it and a twilight-level of simplicity behind the romance. That said, I read dystopian fictions and will have likely read every really notable one you could list. They're a fun , comforting read where your literary brain won't be taxed at all.

Posted on 13 Apr 2012 22:53:19 BDT
Book Addict says:
I agree with Helen, either a book is good or it isn't! I'm 32 and the fact that I'm used to "reading more difficult novels" didn't detract from my enjoyment of the story at all. I though it was a brilliant book.

Posted on 15 Apr 2012 19:26:56 BDT
Just the question I wanted answered!

In the same vein, if you liked this read(or re-read) The Long Walk (Stephen King - novella) and of course The Running Man (King - as Bachman)

Posted on 20 May 2012 12:08:19 BDT
I am a parent of a 12 year old.
I have read The Hunger Games trilogy.
I enjoyed all 3 books.

I read the Hunger games books mostly because i wanted to know what my 12 year old was rabbiting on about when she was talking about it. I enjoyed the books very much and think the older you are the more you understand. My 12 year old misses a lot of the sublties of the books now but will get them when she's older.

I don't think you should be put off of reading a book because you think you might be too old for it. The only way you will know is to read the book and honestly what have you got to loose?

Posted on 30 May 2012 17:03:48 BDT
judge judy says:
I'm 60. I couldn't put them down. I didn't make it through more than two Harry Potters because they were pretty juvenile, and can't think of any other "tweener" book that would interest me. Not only are the Hunger Games books page-turners, but they (particularly the first one) have some very positive messages about compassion, generosity, citizenship and morality.

Posted on 16 Sep 2012 20:02:10 BDT
i am 30 and i have read all 3 hunger games books and loved everyone, amazing books, great detail, great story, looking for something similar to read next.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Hunger Games forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  26 Mar 2012
Latest post:  16 Sep 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Hardcover - 20 Oct. 2008)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (4,677)