Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > Creative ZEN 8GB MP3 Player forum

Is this better than an iPod?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Aug 2008 14:25:51 BDT
Dave Inder says:
I want to buy an mp3 player but want to make sure that I buy the right unit. Most people would go for an iPod, which is similarly priced. Is this really better?

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Sep 2008 17:16:30 BDT
G. Kay says:
If you currently own an I-pod you'll probably not like it, this is nothing to do with the player but more to do with I-tunes which tends to spoon feed its customers. If your reasonably PC savvy you'll probably love it like me. The Creative software isn't bad (Creative Media 5) + you'll need a couple of freeware utilities Like Handbrake (DVD ripping) and I use mp3tagtool to sort out the tags and add album art.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Nov 2008 15:40:31 GMT
Dmt says:
Its better value for money - £150 for a 32gb flash mp3 player. If you've used itunes then you'll miss that. Software aside its a great player.

Posted on 24 Apr 2009 04:53:02 BDT
Build quality, features etc the Zen is comparable with the iPod but as two added benefits; first it's cheaper for the same abilities and second it does not superglue you to iTunes and Apple's revenue stream. I wouldn't be seen dead using anything from Apple but I do like the features, the Zen fits the bill very nicely. The fact that most people buy iPods means that the Zen, along with every other mp3 player is more exclusive by default. Like a Ferrari is always Red, iPods are always white and therefor distinctive. Yes you can buy them in different colors but these devices tend to be bought to show off like trophies to gain kudos points. To me, seeing someone with white ear-buds says "I have an iPod, mug me".

Do you pay a premium to go with the crowd or save some money and blaze your own path with a better (in my opinion at least) device? It is Windows centric though so your user experience will be different on either Linux or OSX as you'll have to use a third party application to interact with it. Gnomad2 for Linux is what I use. Apple like to ensure that your iTunes / iPod experience is flawless while ensuring that every other mp3 player in competition is intentionally screwed over.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  27 Aug 2008
Latest post:  24 Apr 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about